Messy Filling

Decorating By Lisha Updated 4 Oct 2005 , 7:12pm by Somethin-Sweet

Lisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisha Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 6

I completed my first filled cake this weekend. It was French Vanilla cake with Strawberry Crema Filling. Lucky for me, it was just a practice cake. I followed the directions for the filling, but it was really runny. I built an icing damn around the layers, and the filling still oozed over the sides. By the time I iced the cake, I had a big mess around the bottom of my cake. So my icing ended up being streaked with red. To top it all off, when I cut the cake, the filling layers no longer had filling so I had to scoop the filling from the bottom of the cake and spread it on the cake. Needless to say, I don't want to do another filled cake anytime soon!!!!

5 replies
tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry that happened to you! What was your recipe for the filling? This might help to figure out what happened...

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 6

Is this the filling you made or another one?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5869.html

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 6

Perhaps you put in too much filling?

Lisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisha Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 6

Ivanabacowboy,

That is the recipe. I guess I didn't see the correction post. Thanks for sending it to me. It did have a very good flavor, so maybe i'll try it the correct way again.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 6

I did not see the correction either. I made my brother's wedding cake this past weekend, using this as the filling for the second to the bottom of a 4 tier stacked cake. BIG MISTAKE!! Needless to say, the entire thing came crashing down 2 hours after it was done! I was up until 2 a.m. trying to redo the entire thing (except the bottom tier) It tasted great, but I would not ever dare to use it again. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%