Turning A 3" Cake Into 4" ??

Decorating By schnumvf Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 5:51am by mindywith3boys

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I ordered SPS for the cake I'm doing next week. It arrived, I see how it works and I'm excited to use it. I baked my sons b-day cake and decided to measure it, just to make sure it's the 4 inches that I need it to be.

It's 3. icon_cry.gif

How do I gain an entire inch in order to use the SPS? I use Wilton 2" pans and have always gone by their cup measurements for the batter. I don't torte my cakes. Do I just need to add more batter to the pans? Will baking with baking strips help?

7 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 8

If your cakes are not rising to the top of the pan, I'd say use more batter. I've noticed that different recipes rise differently.

I don't know how you'd be able to add an entire inch. I haven't used SPS yet but it seems like I've read here that you can cut them down. Can anyone confirm this?

eta: I use baking strips on all my cakes but I think the purpose is to get the cake level, not to make it rise higher.

onetier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onetier Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 8

How about you just add an inch of styrofoam underneath and then cover the whole thing? No one will know. Or just use a couple of really thick cake boards.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 8

Put more in the pans. Measure them when you take them out of the pan. If you need another 1/2 inch or so, torte and fill them to get the height you need. I've never used SPS (haven't had a reason to yet) but I did just read on another post that someone's husband trimmed 1/2 inch off because the cake was only 3 1/2 inches.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:50am
post #5 of 8

I have the same problem. I am using SPS for the first time this weekend for a wedding cake. I will be baking three cakes for each tier so that each tier will have three layers. This is the only way I seem to be able to get to 4".

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone. I think I'll bake a practice cake today and see how much more batter I would need to add to a pan to get my full 2". If I still don't get it right I'll go with cakegirl's idea and add a 3rd later. Thanks again! I feel a little less stressed now.

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 8

When I need one or 1 1/2 extra inch I do this. I spray my pan (or grease it). If the pan is 3" I cut a piece of good aluminum foil 5" height and cover all the pan around with that (not the bottom). Then I put spray (Pam) all around the inside of the aluminum foil. Then pour the batter and fill the pan up to its border. When baked the cake will rise 1 inch or more above the border of the pan but the aluminum foil serves like a wall or extension of the cake pan and keep the form (round or square). HTH

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:51am
post #8 of 8

I have just hot glued a wooden dowel that is the correct width and length. I've had to do it a couple of times. Usually, my cakes are too high. I can't remember the size of dowel, but there is one that fits quite nicely inside the plates.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%