New Zealand Friends

Decorating By missmikey Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 5:54am by cheatize

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 22

I am wondering how the New Zealand cakers are doing. I hope none of you were caught up in the after mess of the earthquake. My heart and prayers go out for your country.

21 replies
bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 22

you're in our prayers....

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 22

thumbs_up.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 22

Your in my prayers as well.

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 22

Our prayers are with you and your country.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 22

I had the opportunity to visit Christchurch one week ago today, while on a cruise around New Zealand. Everyone there was still talking about the terrible September 4 earthquake and the smaller one on Boxing Day. We were shown many buildings still under repair - including many beautiful, historic buildings. Some were determined to beyond repair and were awaiting demoliton. Christchurch was my favorite of all the cities that we visited. My heart is aching for the residents and their families. My prayer is that there will be no more deaths discovered as the rescue mission continues. These courageous and wonderful people are very much in my thoughts and prayers today and in the days ahead....

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 22

I don't live in Christchurch, but in another city in New Zealand. The whole country is glued to our TV screens and radios right now, it is devastating for such a small country as almost everyone knows someone who lives there. I am alone in the office at the moment with the radio up loud listening to people from Christchurch phoning the radio station. One man was alone and in tears, the radio station sent someone around to him. Someone reported a nine month old baby playing on the floor and having a TV fall on him and kill him. That has really upset me as I have a baby myself and can't imagine losing him. Another lady reported being on the 3rd floor one moment, the next being on the ground floor and not knowing how she got there, surrounded by twenty dead colleagues, she was the only survivor in her workplace, can you imagine?

We're all in shock here, and it's nice to know that you're all thinking of the poor people in Christchurch. It might please you to know that the U.S.A. immediately offered support by way of rescue crews, as did Japan and Australia, and perhaps others. I know the offer from Australia was accepted. People are scrambling to move rocks and rubble as fast as they can to get to survivors. It rained heavily in the city I am in last night, hopefully it didn't rain so much in Christchurch as people who now have no home were sleeping in the open parks on pieces of wood and cardboard.

Sorry for such a long ramble, as I said we are all really shocked here.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 22

Zespri, reading your post has brought tears to my eyes. I lived in the suburbs of NYC at the time of 9/11 and had family & friends at & near ground zero and remember being glue to my TV & phone waiting for news of them. My loved ones were all okay physically, but I had friends and relatives who lost people and the horror, shock and pure disbelief of having a tragedy happen in your own backyard is something I remember all too well. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you all.

zespri Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 22

For those interested, we just found some photos here showing some of the devastation:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/02/christchurch_earthquake.html

All over the radio they are doing fund raisers, and talking to people from Christchurch, it's affecting so many people in so many ways. We all donated money yesterday, but someone just commented that what she'd really like to do is fly down there and help one family clean up their home. It's not just the earthquakes, it's been flooded with sewerage etc.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 22

Zespri - you and your countrymen are in my thoughts and prayers. (((hugs)))

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 22

What a trying time for such a lovely country. God bless you all and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm glad the US offered help...please take it. My heart aches for all of you!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:07am
post #12 of 22

Zespri: you said you all donated. Is there a fund to donate to?

zespri Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:20am
post #13 of 22

We donated through the Red Cross:
http://www.redcross.org.nz/donate

oh my gosh, I just had a good cry. They've now confirmed almost a hundred dead, and almost 300 reported still missing. There are two groups of foreign students who just arrived from Japan and China who are all missing. Imagine how their families must be feeling, so far away. Actually a rescue crew from Japan arrived today and have got stuck in helping, they must have more experience in this sort of thing.

People are offering up their homes for those who have lost theirs and are sleeping in paddocks and parks. And Air NZ have offered $50 for anyone wanting to get out of Christchurch. There are still some getting out alive, so that's heartening, but it's been more than 48 hours now, and they say after 48 hours without water the human body starts to shut down, so soon it will no longer be a rescue mission I guess. I just watched a video of a woman being pulled from the rubble, to try and stop myself crying, but it made it worse... lol! I think it's because I've been trying to control it all day, so it's all coming out now there is nobody here at home to see me blub like a baby.

You'll be proud to know that President Obama called our Prime Minister and said the U.S. is on standby for any help needed. It's so good the way other countries are pulling together to help, or offer to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Zespri: you said you all donated. Is there a fund to donate to?

zespri Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:23am
post #14 of 22

I just got a text message from my friend who is in a position to help with her job. She said today she had to source thousands of medical nose clips as the stench is so bad, thousands of pairs of overalls for rubble crawling , and as many portable toilets as possible, along with camping equipment. She has also donated a million dollars worth of building supplies. It's good to know some people are able to help, yay!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:54am
post #15 of 22

Its amazing and overwhelming the amount of help NZ are receiving, and the suggestion that this may come from private dontations from ordinary people is incredible - so humbling. If anyone wants to read up on this awful disaster from a Kiwi point of view, check out one of our best known news websites, www.stuff.co.nz.

Rachel - I know what you mean, I think I feel the same. Today I helped phone around the elderly people down there, that was a harrowing experience as they had often been affected - had lost family etc and some had had their homes destroyed. Some were upset, some very pragmatic. One I spoke to was terrified, and he told me he would rather be back fighting in 'Nam!

I have actually volunteered to travel down for 5 days and help - probably next week, as soon as flights and accommodation can be organised for us. I'm not sure what I will be doing but beats sitting here thinking I wish I could do something! To be honest I am actually a bit nervous, its like stepping on to the front line, I just couldn't say no. i imagine it will be an experience I won't forget.

zespri Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:21am
post #16 of 22

Go Clare!! That is so generous of you, well done girl! I know you have a job, so this will be a sacrafice for you personally, that's very humbling. Maybe it will be like the Queensland post-floods, lots of brooms and gumboots, and organising clothes and food parcels.

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:35am
post #17 of 22

Hi guys. I, too, am from New Zealand but in Auckland City. Like Zespri, I have been glued to the radio and on the internet with updates on nzherald.co.nz. Hearing of the recent tragedy was heartbreaking. I find myself in tears at every update I see, especially at the rising number of people dead. My cousin is studying in Christchurch and he was very fortunate to be unharmed. My aunty flew him up here to Auckland at the next available flight. He is pretty shaken up by it all, but is grateful to be alive. He was taking a nap in his flat when the house shook so violently his windows shattered and woke him up. There have been so many aftershocks after Tuesday's earthquake, and more is expected to come. This tragedy has definitely brought New Zealanders closer together and I am amazed at the number of people who have offered support in many ways. I wish I could do more, but all I can do is donate financially and just never stop hoping and praying. I urge all fellow CCers to keep Christchurch residents and the rest of New Zealand in your prayers.

Thank you for all the support that I'm seeing here from everyone all over the world. Your thoughts and prayers are deeply appreciated. God bless you all.

xo

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:24am
post #18 of 22

My heart goes out to all of you down there...while watching some news coverage taken right after the quake hit, the camera panned over a cupcake shop...a cute little window with a cupcake on it and I thought..oh no!!! that may be where one of our CC members little shop! Thinking of all of you and sending prayers.

cheatize Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks for the link, zespri! I thought about the Red Cross last night but my brain kept putting the word "American" in front of it because that's how it's usually referred to here. I've put the boston.com link on my Facebook and I'll put the Red Cross link there, too.

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 9:35am
post #20 of 22

Hi I am Nikki. I live about 30km from Christchurch. The first quake last year on Sept 4 was centered in my area about 10km away and that did a lot of damage in this area to homes and a few shops. I grew up in Christchurch and its devastating to see what has happened to my city. I keep thinking what if I was walking in that street with my kids or in that building when it collapsed. I have been glued to my TV as I was when 9/11 happened. I have a very very short fuse with my kids - I cannot imagine what its like in the city. My husband is military and doing medic work - have not seen him much the last few days and he is very tired. I have sent a lot of my childrens unused toys with him to work to take to the welfare centers. I was saying to someone the other day that as we live in a small rural community village we are quite isolated from the 'city' and go in once a month or so. I still cannot get my head around it. Its awful. I and a few mums feel hopeless way out here but all schools and childcare are all closed till next week - in the city for longer - but we are available to supply accomodation and support to people leaving the city and for time out in the country. Thankyou for thinking of us.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 9:49pm
post #21 of 22

I had an update from a NZ friend who informs me that it is best to donate to the Red Cross via the Australian website, or other international Red Cross websites which are collecting for the NZ earthquake appeal, rather than the NZ Red Cross website itself. This is because of the rather large international transfer fees which the credit card companies are skimming off donations via the NZ site, and also because the NZ authorities have themselves asked for people to donate that way.

Here is the link for the Australian Red Cross NZ Earthquake Appeal: http://www.redcross.org.au/NZEQ2011.htm

HTH

cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:54am
post #22 of 22

Thanks, Evoir!

Strathmore, it may be difficult, but perhaps you need to walk away from the news for a bit or at least start limiting your exposure. When 9/11 occurred, that's what we were advised over here. Additionally, it may not be good for your children to see so much of the news right now. I know, it's really hard. You want to know everything and you're probably scared another one is on the way and if so, you want to know about it right away. However, sometimes it's best to take a break from it all.

Hugs and prayers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%