Upright Bass Drum For Music Man Cake

Decorating By seskenn Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 10:44pm by thecakeprincess

seskenn Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 7

OK, so I volunteered to make a cake for the high school cast party for The Music Man. Lots of things I want to put on this cake (sheet music, 76 trombones, big flowers from the Pick a Little gals hats, books from the library, etc), but I want the main focus to be a big, marching band bass drum. And I want it upright! So, I was thinking the bottom half of the drum should be a cake form, with a half-round cake on the top. Want the drum at least 12 inches across. Support considerations? And ideas on covering this beast with fondant with minimal seams?

May have bitten off more than I can chew here, but I like challenges! icon_lol.gif

6 replies
seskenn Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

Anyone?? icon_confused.gif

ibmoser Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

[quote="seskenn"]with a half-round cake on the top.

Not quite sure what you are saying here. I would not stand a half-round up on edge. I would cut rectangles from sheet cakes and stack them on top of the styrofoam base placing boards every 4" and supporting the layers with dowels down into the styrofoam as usual. Then carve the half-round from the rectangular block of cake.

cakelady2266 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 7

I did a drum set grooms cake, (it's in my photos) and I used Rice Krispie Treats for the bass drum or whatever the one that stands on it's end is called. I used more cereal than called for so they were stiffer then I pressed the RKT very firmly in a 12 inch round and put two together and covered them with fondant and turned it on edge.

Hope this helps.

cupcakemkr Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 7

In the drum set I made the bas drum was a styrofoam dummy because they didn't need that much cake. But I'd do as ibmoser said and stack sheets of cake on the 1/2 round styro and cut to shape.

Good Luck!!

seskenn Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions all. Hadn't thought of stacking sheet cakes to make the round - probably a little sturdier that way! Time to work on my carving skills.

thecakeprincess Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 7

great info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%