Help? Centre Or Cake Collapsing

Baking By Sharonvdberg Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 1:56pm by emiyeric

Sharonvdberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharonvdberg Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 5

I've been baking a long time and have never have this happen. I really need advice.
I use the same recipe I've been using for years.
The ingredients are fresh.
The oven is on temperature.
I have tried different recipes i.e. oil and butter cakes.
I'm using XL eggs, 61-66g
I've used different OVENS.
All the cakes are mixed EXACTLY according to the recipe.
I've put two pans in at once.
I've put one pan in at a time.
I just don't know any more.
I really am ready to throw in the towel.
Please HELP???

4 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 5

The center of a cake caving in is a sign that the cake is not done. If it were me, I would purchase a thermometer to check your oven temp. Maybe there is something wrong with your oven that it is not heating up to the temp that you are setting. Just a thought.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 5

If you're sure your oven temp is fine, perhaps a thermometer that you stick in the cake to read the temperature will tell you if the cake is done before you take it out of the oven will give you more information about why it's caving in.

sokelengl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sokelengl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 5

It may be because of the structure problem.

You may be using wrong type of flour. Did you use bleached flour or unbleached flour?If using unbleached flour for a butter cake, the cake will dip in the center about 5 minutes after baking. This is because the smooth flour particles of unbleached flour cannot effectively hold the butter is suspension.

Too Weak a Structure
This is usually due to too much leavening. Try dropping the baking powder by 1/4 teaspoon.

The larger the cake, the less amount of baking powder per cup of flour is used. This is because the distance from the sides of the pan to the center are greater so that they batter needs a stronger structure to support itself.

Lisa

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 5

Excellent points being made here! Also, if this is a larger cake, perhaps baking at t lower temp but for a longer period of time might help. That way your center is not mush by the time your sides are firm and crispy. Good luck, and please let us know if you figure it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%