Frist Cupcake Order, Don't Know What To Charge.

Baking By laddybug Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 6:43am by scp1127

laddybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laddybug Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:25am
post #1 of 8

I made some cupcakes for a BBQ and my friend wants to order a dozen.
I have no idea what to charge. I don't run a business or anything, just like to bake. Please help!

Chocolate Cupcakes dipped in Ganache w/ Mocha Buttercream and a Strawberry dipped in Ganache on top.

Picture of the cupcake:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1949966

7 replies
kristieanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristieanna Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 8

I do only cupcakes and I would charge between $26 and $30 for a dozen of these.
But charge whatever you feel is appropriate to cover the cost of labor, ingredients, and enough to make a profit. icon_biggrin.gif

laddybug Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks so much for your input. Just having some idea's of what others would charge helps.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:22am
post #4 of 8

Do a search here on CC for threads discussing "how much to charge", there's probably a hundred of them by now. icon_biggrin.gif

Quick answer - ZERO if you are unlicensed and live in a state that does not allow baking out of your home. icon_eek.gif

Realistically, charge whatever you want. Do you want to make a profit? Then only you can do the math on that. Ingredients+time+packaging=$.

You don't have a location listed so there is no way of knowing what other bakeries charge in your area, but you can't compare to a bakery since you have no overhead and probably aren't legal. Example, in San Francisco I'd charge $42/dozen plus $1 per strawberry for those. But I am also licensed, have overhead, labor, etc to consider, use organic/gourmet ingredients and bake totally from scratch.

Good Luck!

Jen

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:06am
post #5 of 8

Mine would be about $39 for total scratch. I am a business too. If you are in a state that prohibits home baking, then $0.

laddybug Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:29am
post #6 of 8

Thank you for your input. I'm actually in Japan and home business' are allowed.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:33am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by laddybug

Thank you for your input. I'm actually in Japan and home business' are allowed.

Japan!!! How cool! Well then, I have no clue icon_biggrin.gif Add that to your location!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:43am
post #8 of 8

Then to help put your pricing into perspective, your cupcakes would be considered gourmet if they are from scratch and you could charge on the upper end of the pricing spectrum for your area. You will need to do some internet shopping to find your price since most of us will have no clue on the pricing. Keep in mind that fancy packaging is expensive and some sites will reflect that. If you will have more economical packaging, you can lower your price a little. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%