Dilemma/michaels Classes In Nyc

Decorating By Cupcakeboy85 Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 5:42am by Cupcakeboy85

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 6

IS there anyone in NYC that has taken the decorating basics at a Michaels? and if so how was the instructors?

The reason I'm asking is because there is a Save-a-thon arts and crafts by me which is walking distance and kinda incoveient for me but they charge $40 for the basic class with no coupons but I was able to sit in a class yesterday and see how students and interact and was fairly impress. But at Michaels they charge $22.50 and give out coupons for supplies which the other store does not. I value your guys opinions and plus I wanna start my next month

Choice A: Pay $40 and use my michaels coupons for supplies

Choice B: Just take the class altogether at Michaels.

5 replies
rvtanya Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 6

I took the Wilton classes last year at Michaels. The cost was $22.50 and with a 50% off coupon, I purchased the class kits that usually run around $35.00. You will need to purchase more supplies throughout the class so usually they provide you with a 40% off coupon after each purchase plus you get a 10% off coupon for joining the class that you can use several times throughout the class. The Michael's store I went to have 2 instructors that take turns teaching certain classes monthly. I learned a great deal from my instructor and always email her if I need help. They also throw in extra classes, like a tall cakes class, cupcake class, etc. I think the price is right. Good Luck!

TexasSugar Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 6

Wilton Classes at Michaels are actually $45. The plus is that they do either a 40% or a 50% off promotion every month. They also offer $5 Bounce In and Bounce Back coupons, which will be taken off the promotional price.

The Kits do run about $35, plus there are other supplies. If you have coupons they are great to use. I hardly ever by anything over $10-$20 at Michaels with out a coupon.

As far as which you should take, it will depend on what works best for you. Are their benefits to paying more for the class at the one store? Will it save you gas money? 20-30 mins in traffic? Is the classes scheduled at a better time for you?

Sometimes you have to look outside the costs. Because even if you save what appears to be $20, are you actually spending that money in other ways?

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks texas sugar I'll definitely look into that!

rosiecast Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #5 of 6

Hi Cupcakeboy5- guess what? I'm one of the instructors at the Manhattan Michaels. lol

I only teach one class on Tuesdays and I won't be back to teaching until April, because I fractured my foot. BUT I can recommend Peter as an excellent instructor. I believe he's there Tuesday to Friday. I love him.

The other instructor is Angela, but I can't recommend her since I haven't seen her teaching. I have heard complaints from people about the class at save-a-thon. Something about it's out in the middle of the store and uncomfortable for the students.

Good luck,

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:42am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Hi Cupcakeboy5- guess what? I'm one of the instructors at the Manhattan Michaels. lol

I only teach one class on Tuesdays and I won't be back to teaching until April, because I fractured my foot. BUT I can recommend Peter as an excellent instructor. I believe he's there Tuesday to Friday. I love him.

The other instructor is Angela, but I can't recommend her since I haven't seen her teaching. I have heard complaints from people about the class at save-a-thon. Something about it's out in the middle of the store and uncomfortable for the students.

Good luck,

Oh wow!! lol That's what I notice to when I went to the save-a-thon this past weekend, They had the classes are off to the left I could see it coud be distracting as well. How are the classes set up at the store? and also rosie do you also teach gumpaste/fondant as well? I plan on taking that after the basic in may

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%