First Time Selling Cookies...

Baking By ConfectionsCC Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 4:18pm by Dreme

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:05am
post #1 of 6

Ok, I have made so many cakes and cupcakes to sell, doing great with that. I make cookies for friends and family, but I have never sold them, nor have I ever purchased decorated cookies so I am stumped! I figured $1.75 each decorated with RI and packaged. The cookies are little baby bottles, rattles etc...pretty generic, just blue and white color scheme. Does that sound reasonable? I am sorry to ask this, I am sure many have asked it before icon_redface.gif

5 replies
Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:03am
post #2 of 6

I believe the standard is $1 per inch, so a 3 inch cookie could be $3.00. But you could also figure in how detailed your cookie is and your own costs. If the baby bottle is 3 inches high, but very narrow and perhaps no detail at all (?) you could go a bit cheaper? I haven't sold any yet, but I am getting my prices in order for hopefully the future! icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 6

Also consider your time and expenses for packaging. The ribbon and wrap isn't too bad, but it took me about an hour to package 36 cookies. I had only asked .25 per cookie for packaging (9.00). Taking out expenses, I only made 5.00 for that hour. (less if you figure I paid up front for 2 rolls of ribbon, but I have a fair amount left. I actually spent about 9.oo getting supplies at the time.)

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the others that your price is too low and their other comments.

One additional thought - once you set an expectation for what your cookies are worth, it is hard to raise your price later. In essence, initially, you tell your clients what your cookies are worth. Once they agree that they are worth that amount, it will be hard to talk them into any kind of meaningful increase in price. If you have a successful cake/cupcake business than your customers know your work and obviously love it. Have faith that your cookies will be the same.

I understand that not everyone can pay $4.50 (my price) for a custom cookie, but I would much rather do 1/2 the orders at twice the pay for the customers who want, and can afford, a truly unique cookie.

Best of luck!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 6

Ditto...I charge $5.00 each for my cookies..They are a tremendous amount of time so if I am going to do them....I wanna be paid well....

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with everyone above. I learned my lesson in the beginning for not charging enough for my cookies. Too much work for not enough money. I found that charging per the difficulty of the design works for me. My cookie ranges from $4 for a small cookie I can knock out in about a minute (with prep done) to $15 for a custom cookie that can take me over an hour to do just one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%