Images On A Cake

Decorating By wvfunchick Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 11:29pm by Abisnail

wvfunchick Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 12

Please see attached photo. This is not my cake but was wondering how to get an image to look like this on a cake. Scooby is perfect! I have been seeing this technique a lot on cakes... Can someone please let me in on how to achieve this?

Thank you!

11 replies
wvfunchick Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 12

For some reason I can't upload the picture...

wvfunchick Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 12

wvfunchick Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 12

Abisnail Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 12

If you look at my second most recent cake, do you mean like that? My local cake decorating shop prints any image onto sheets of fondant, you simply damp the fondant and stick to the cake. Sorry I can't see your image, HTH.

wvfunchick Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 12

I am not sure which cake you are talking about. What is the theme of the cake?

ToniRod Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 12

Wvfunchick, maybe try posting a link to the picture if you can...

ToniRod Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 12

Wow, that looks great... Doesn't look like a "printed" edible image as mentioned above. I'm not sure how it was made, though... I'll be watching for replies myself.

lynn1968 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 12

i can't find a pic, either. do you mean an edible imprint? if so, it's apparently a simple process, but you'll need an ink jet printer (preferably one dedicated to the edible ink cartridges so you don't have to clean the lines out all the time ~ besides, ink jet printers are cheap, you can pick one up for fifty or sixty bucks), edible ink cartridges (which are surprisingly affordable), and edible paper you can print on (i forget exactly what it's made from, but if i remember right they're between $1-2 per sheet). the process seems to be pretty straightforward and simple, but that's assuming you have some sort of art program you know how to use. you can download free photoshop rip-offs and use those, or just purchase the specific photoshop program suitable to you, which are about $60 for individual programs at best buy, as i recall. or if you're familiar with adobe illustrator or coreldraw, use those.

they never tell you the caveats with these things, do they? if you don't have one of these art programs and have no clue how to use them, if you grabbed a pic off the net and tried to resize it larger, it's probably going to look terrible and need a lot of work, meaning you can spend a lot of time playing with your computer. if, on the other hand, you just scanned an image, i would think that would work out good enough.

it's something i'll definitely hit on as i careen closer to having a bakery. i guess to a purist it's cheating, but, say, for a complex pattern that would take awhile to pipe, i could knock it out on the computer in a fraction of the time, it be perfect, and can pass that savings on to the budget-minded customer. a friend of mine surprised me once with a cake with the cover of a book i wrote on it, and it was amazing. that was, oh, 12 years ago or so, so it's not like new technology or anything. on the flip-side, my groomsman cake was of darth maul piped on, and it just looked okay ~ i would have much rather had the edible imprint on it!

sorry if that's not what you meant. icon_smile.gif

ToniRod Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 12

Maybe it was done with a Cricut, but I have absolutely no experience with those... There are probably bunches of people on here that would probably be able to tell you better than I could.

Abisnail Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 12

I was talking about the 2 tiered cake with the gold frames.
Having seen your link I'd say if you were handy with a scalpel you could probably do that with a print out of the image and some fondant on wax paper on top and cut round the shapes, I reckon.
Although, isn't that the effect that patchwork cutters give? I've never used them personally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%