Cottage Food Bill In Arkansas

Decorating By kelleym Updated 28 Feb 2013 , 8:01pm by RedDarlene

kelleym Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 35

A Cottage Food Bill has cleared the Arkansas House and Senate, and now goes to the Governor for signing. I gave it a quick read, and it appars that you can sell non-potentially hazardous foods out of your home, directly to the consumer, as long as the labeling requirements are met.



Congratulations! thumbs_up.gif

34 replies
sari66 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 35

Congrats to all who live in Arkansas!

Karen421 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:32am
post #3 of 35

REALLY??!!! So what does that mean exactly? Because I am getting excited!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 35

Thinking of moving to NWA soon so definately interested.

kelleym Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 35

Yay! Congrats, guys!

leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 35

But but it mean that you an only sell at Farmer's Markets?

LadyDi469 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 35

In Arkansas prior to this passing of the "cottage food operations bill" you could not sell, bake, or advertise, give prices for any and all baked items from your home UNLESS you had a permit from the county that you have a certified kitchen and appliances.

This current bill allows you to produce food items from your home including bakery products, candy, canned fruit & butter, jams, jellies,etc.

The bill goes on to state: Those exempt also included in the cottage food production operation......on the condition that the operation offers its products directly to the consumer (1) from the site where the products are being produced (2) At a farmers' market (3) at a county fair (4) at a special event and must be (1) made available to the Department of Health for sampling.

Other conditions: (2) clearly labeled with no nutritional claims (3) label must have name, address of the business, name of the product, the ingredients of the product, and must say "This product is home produced".

You can sell at the farmer' market IF you also market (1) fresh unprocessed fruits or vegetables or (2) maple syrup, sorghum or honey or (3) commercially prepackaged foods

tiggy2 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 35

As I read it you can sell from where the product is produced. Read the article.

Winnie_in_Wi Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 9:42pm
post #10 of 35

Can anybody in the "know" tell me the route to go to get this done in Wisconsin? Even though everybody is so up in arms in Madison it's bound to settle eventually.

kelleym Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:23am
post #11 of 35
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 5:51am
post #12 of 35

Just wanted to stop by and say Congratulations to all in Arkansas. Sounds like a win to me!

Hopefully before the end of this year we'll have a bunch more states added to the list of those that have a Cottage Food Law enacted.

aliciababcock Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 35

This is so exciting! Now if I can just figure out what else I need to do in order to sell my cakes from home!

tiggy2 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 35
Originally Posted by aliciababcock

This is so exciting! Now if I can just figure out what else I need to do in order to sell my cakes from home!

If you figure it out please let me know so when we move to AR I'll know what to do icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:39pm
post #15 of 35

I think - after re-re-re-rereading the bill, that we have to have a label with our name, address and ingredients listed on everything that we sell. thumbs_up.gif (Sell - after 8 years of giving everything away, I just can't imagine it!!!) icon_biggrin.gif

LKing12 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:44pm
post #16 of 35

Congratulations! Now let's get working in other states!

tiggy2 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:46pm
post #17 of 35

Yes, you do have to have labels. But I'm guessing you also have to have a HD inspection and some kind of license.

Karen421 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:06pm
post #18 of 35

I don't think so, but I have my friend, who has to go to the capital 3 days a week, checking for me. The big question is, how do you get people to start paying, for what they use to get for free??? (without hurting anyone's feelings?)

tiggy2 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #19 of 35

Tell them you're now a business and can't afford to give away your product.

kelleym Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:38pm
post #20 of 35

It appears to me to be an exemption, which means no license, no inspections.

tiggy2 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:05pm
post #21 of 35
Originally Posted by kelleym

It appears to me to be an exemption, which means no license, no inspections.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif So does that mean you can just start advertising and selling?

kelleym Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:28pm
post #22 of 35

It appears that it was effective on the date the governor signed it, which was 2/18. It says you can sell certain non-potentially hazardous foods from your home kitchen as long as you sell directly to the consumer, and you label it appropriately. This is like an exemption, which is among the easiest ways for states to enact these types of laws; there are no rules, and it doesn't cost any money for the state. It's the ultimate form of the government getting out of our way to let us provide for ourselves.

However, there is this one little section:


(1) "Cottage food production operation" means a person who produces food items in the person's home that are not potentially hazardous foods, including without limitation:
(A) Bakery products;
(B) Candy;
(C) Fruit butter;
(D) Jams;
(E) Jellies; and
(F) Similar products specified in rules adopted by the Department of Health;

I'm not clear on (F) whether they're referring to existing rules, or new rules that are going to be written. So the safest thing to do is to call them and ask how you can comply with the new law. thumbs_up.gifjudge.gif

tiggy2 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:31pm
post #23 of 35

Who do you call?

kelleym Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:35pm
post #24 of 35

I would call the Arkansas Department of Health headquarters in Little Rock if you don't already live there. If you do live there, call your local county office.

tiggy2 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:38pm
post #25 of 35

Thanks Kelly. I don't live there yet but will look them up.

aliciababcock Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:25am
post #26 of 35

Do you have to get a business license or permit in your city? Or can I just start charging people? I have no clue how to begin now, seeing as I never thought this day would come!

tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:39am
post #27 of 35

See kelleym's post above.

snowballwinters Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #28 of 35

YA!!!!!!!! This is a big deal!!!!

LadyDi469 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #29 of 35

I understand the bill to mean we can now bake and sell from our homes to customers. No license, no inspections, no separate structure for kitchen. All we have to do is have a label and a MUST on the label is : name, address of the person who made it; name of the product; ingredients in the product; and in 10-point type "This product is home-produced".

RedDarlene Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 11:16pm
post #30 of 35

Yippeeee! I just found this out from someone I know that has been making cake for a while at home. A local bakery reported her! Really, like there's not enough business to go around? People can be so petty. I found a website that tells how to get approved in Little Rock, but I live in south Arkansas. So if someone knows what I need to do, please let me know. If I found out I will share the information to anyone who asks.

Just lost my job so this is such a big deal. I have been doing cakes for family and friends for over 25 years! Just to think that I could be a real business is very exciting! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%