Metallic Effect On Cake

Decorating By Screamers Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 5:01pm by carmijok

Screamers Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all. Just wanted to start off by saying that since I started doing cakes... I am so GLAD that I found such a great group of people to help me learn. You guys are the best!

I have a 1964 Impala cake due this week and my client wants the paint to be a neon metallic green. I have no idea on how I am going to make it look like a metal flake paint job.... Would really appreciate any suggestions or ideas on this project. Not only the paint.. but if anyone can suggest an easier way to make the details too... it would be greatly appreciated. This is my very first car cake and I am very nervous on how my finished product will look.

Again.. thank you all for your help. You have saved me from many breakdowns over the past year.... God Bless

2 replies
KristyCakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 3

How about lustre dust? I had a car cake and was able to find a nice lustre dust that worked perfectly.

carmijok Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 3

The shiniest I ever got anything was my teapot cake (in my photos). The spout and the handle. I go into detail in my comments about how I did it. Basically I had painted the gum paste with royal icing and let it dry a bit. Then used green lustre dust in lemon extract to paint over it. For some reason it came off super shiny. There's surely an easier way, but this worked for me! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%