Alphabet Cutters

Decorating By kimboann Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 8:52pm by Ellie1985

kimboann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimboann Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 35

Ok this is my first post so be gentle. I am very new to cake making/decorating and need some help from those more experienced. I am not happy with my writing skills on cakes and really like the look of cutout letters/numbers. So which ones? I have found a Wilton set of cutters and also one by Ateco and then found some funky, fun Tappits but have no idea what they are. Please help.

34 replies
kimboann Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 35

So I see another forum on the same topic and am now wondering about purchasing Clikstix cutters. I should have looked before posting. Like I said I'm very, very new. I'll get it though.

cupcakecult1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakecult1 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 35

I use cookie cutters all the time for writing. I have ordered several different styles of the alphabet/number cutters online, ebay anywhere I can find unique lettering. Tappits are great, but you do need to practice with them. There are some wonderful Youtube videos that will show some great tips for using them. I also like to use the computer and print out what I want to say, cover with contact paper and then cut out of fondant with an exacto knife. This is good for making an exact logo of something. Hope that helps, good luck.

cupcakecult1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakecult1 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 35

I am also curious about the Clikstix cutters if anyone has used, I would love to hear there results.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 35

I do not like the wilton ones.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 35

Sugar_N_ spice is right. Don't waste your money on the Wilton ones. The Tappitts have great fonts (love the funky one) but are difficult to use. I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I need more practice. THe clikstix are much easier to use but still takes a little practice. I used mine for the first time this weekend for my daughter's B-day cake. I haven't downloaded the photos yet. Anyway, I have all 3 and I would definitely recommend the Clikstix.

kimboann Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 35

Thanks for the tips and recommendations. Just what I am looking for. I have the Clikstix in a shopping cart waiting to be purchased. I'll be using it on my daughter's birthday cake as well so even if I haven't perfected using them yet it will be ok...I hope.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 35

I love my Tappits now that I have mastered patience...you must let your fondant sit out for 10 minutes to let it harden a bit before you use try to cut the letters or you will stretch/break your letters. Also, make sure that you have plenty of cornstarch!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 35

KImboann, you'll just have to make a couple of letters to get the hang of it and like Christy says about the tappitts, it helps to let the fondant harden up a little bit. My problem with the Tappitts is a am too impatience and usually in a hurry. LOL

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 35

I used my Clixstix for the first time this past weekend and I LOVE them!! It took me no time to spell out "now I lay me down to sleep". Definitely worth the money. I have the tappits also - like another post said, my patience wears thin with those, but I wont give up on them.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 35

I LOVE my funky tappitts!!!! I have no problem at all using them! (make sure to get capital & small letters!)

through my clay roller on 3 i roll out a piece of satin ice fondant (mixed with shortening not PS), lay it on a piece of wax paper (where I do all my fondant work) smooth it down with my hand and cut. no waiting no problem

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 35

Agree with Christi 71. First bought the italic Tappits and for the life of me I couldn't get the letters out and almost threw them out. Then I bought the Funky Tappits which I absolutely adore and will probably have another go with the Italic at some point. Great tip about leaving the gum paste to dry out for 10 minutes or so. It took me an inordinate amount of wasted fondant before I thought of that!!!!

CP xxx

Tclanton Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

I LOVE my funky tappitts!!!! I have no problem at all using them! (make sure to get capital & small letters!)

through my clay roller on 3 i roll out a piece of fondant (mixed with shortening not PS), lay it on a piece of wax paper (where I do all my fondant work) smooth it down with my hand and cut. no waiting no problem

Its funny that equipment challenges one and not the other. I cannot get a letter to come out of my tappits for any amount of money!!!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 35

Mine dont stay in the tappitt.... if they were in it id never get them out! ever.... mine stick to the wax paper, i peel the excess from around and in the, let them dry a minute then flip them using the wax paper.... did that make sense??

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #15 of 35

The funky letters are difficult to work with. The trick, though, is to roll out the fondant and let it air dry for a little while before cutting the letters. Let the letters dry for a couple of hours before moving them to the cake.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 35

Tappits should be called Beat the He** Out of Its. I love the fonts, but they are too finicky for me. By the time I'm doing lettering, I'm ready to get the cake out of my sight.

kimboann Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:29am
post #17 of 35

Thanks for all the comments. It has really helped me make a decision.

Tclanton Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:30pm
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

Mine dont stay in the tappitt.... if they were in it id never get them out! ever.... mine stick to the wax paper, i peel the excess from around and in the, let them dry a minute then flip them using the wax paper.... did that make sense??

Makes perfect sense to me. I will have to try that the next time I need to do lettering.

Thanks Dazzle!

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:35pm
post #19 of 35

Tip I got from a professional bakery and equpment seller in town - lots and lots of starch flour and let the strips of gum paste air dry for about 10 minutes. Dust your work surface, dust the Tappits and they come out every time! I put mine straight onto the cake unless I want them standing up.

CP x

Tclanton Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:39pm
post #20 of 35

Thanks Chilli!!

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:45pm
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimboann

Thanks for all the comments. It has really helped me make a decision.

What did you decide? I'm STILL trying to decide. icon_lol.gif I like what I am hearing about the Click Stix, but I love the fonts in the Tappit set. I think I need another job to support this cake habit. ha ha!!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:15pm
post #22 of 35

Does anyone know where or if I can find hebrew alphabet cutters? I have searched the internet but can't find them anywhere & as I do quite a few cakes that require hebrew writing and my hand is a little shaky......... I need help!
TIA

TerriLynn Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 7:04pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Does anyone know where or if I can find hebrew alphabet cutters? I have searched the internet but can't find them anywhere & as I do quite a few cakes that require hebrew writing and my hand is a little shaky......... I need help!
TIA

I just saw "Tin Steel Hebrew Alphabet Cookie Cutter Set" on Amazon. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 7:25pm
post #24 of 35

I know different things work for different people - I love my tappits. Yes, it does take some getting used to - but once you get the hang of what works for YOU, it's great. I checked into the clikstix - but I wish they had the 'funky' font like the tappits. For me...again, just for me and my experience, I roll my fondant out thin enough to NOT come oozing out the top of the letters when I press down, BUT also not too flat that the letters are bubbly. I let the rolled fondant sit out for about 5 minutes or so, not too long because it will loose it's elasticity & look crackly - then...I take a little shortening on my finger and rub it on top of the fondant before I press my letter and I don't even need to 'tap it'. I lift the tappit wand and the letter stays on my board and I use my spatula or pallet knife to lift it into my storage container. I'm so glad that this works for me because I actually damaged one of my letters (the top curvy part of the lower case "a") because I 'tapped' it too hard to get it out. So...I like not having to bang the letter wand.

Best of luck...

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 7:28pm
post #25 of 35

I just saw "Tin Steel Hebrew Alphabet Cookie Cutter Set" on Amazon. Hope this helps!

Brilliant, thanks!

baking4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking4life Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:39pm
post #26 of 35

Hey everyone!! I was reading this thread and I was wondering where can I find these cutters that you are talking about. Both the tapits and the clikstiks. I am looking for great cutters and I don't know where I can find them. I have gone to different website and they have the wilton one. I need funky and stylish ones.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:49pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprofe

Hey everyone!! I was reading this thread and I was wondering where can I find these cutters that you are talking about. Both the tapits and the clikstiks. I am looking for great cutters and I don't know where I can find them. I have gone to different website and they have the wilton one. I need funky and stylish ones.

I know the tappits are available through multiple vendors - not sure if clikstix are or not. Check out clikstix.com. For the tappits, I'd do a google search for "FM Tappits" and then you can compare prices for the best deal. HTH.

TerriLynn Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 12:26am
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprofe

You can get both through the Global Sugar Art website. I believe they ship internationally, but need to confirm that. Good luck in your search.

kimboann Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:59am
post #29 of 35

TerriLynn~I have decided on the Clikstix for right now. I don't think I have the time or patience to work with the Tappits but will consider them in the future. I like the funky ;letters they offer. I am also just a novice and don't want to get too frustrated. I just want to have fun with cake decorating.

TerriLynn Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 12:22pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimboann

TerriLynn~I have decided on the Clikstix for right now. I don't think I have the time or patience to work with the Tappits but will consider them in the future. I like the funky ;letters they offer. I am also just a novice and don't want to get too frustrated. I just want to have fun with cake decorating.

I think I'm with you and may order the ClikStix. Have fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%