Caking Whilst Ill.

Business By CakeyKerry Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 9:36pm by LNW

CakeyKerry Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 10

I have a question. I just posted a thread about having to cancel an order because I'm ill with sickness and diarrhea http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-710241.html

I'd like to know under what circumstances you'd cancel an order. What illnesses to you draw a line at?

9 replies
Chala86 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 10

I think anything that could potentially spread a contagious illness to a customer - so coughing and sneezing all over a cake , vomiting, diarrhea. Maybe I'm over the top but this is just my opinion.

Manderly42 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chala86

I think anything that could potentially spread a contagious illness to a customer - so coughing and sneezing all over a cake , vomiting, diarrhea. Maybe I'm over the top but this is just my opinion.

I have to agree. I am so far behind on this weekend's cake because my husband, our two kids and I all had a stomach bug. I am now trying to catch up!!

Chala86 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderly42

Quote:

I have to agree. I am so far behind on this weekend's cake because my husband, our two kids and I all had a stomach bug. I am now trying to catch up!!

Hope you manage to catch up with your orders icon_smile.gif

Manderly42 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderly42

Quote:

Hope you manage to catch up with your orders icon_smile.gif

Thanks - I'll just put in some later-than-usual nights and I should be fine. Hopefully.

jamiekwebb Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 10

If it's contagious I don't bake. No sense in spreading it.

cakemom42 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 10

I am very careful about this as if your client got sick they can come at you.
There is a differnce between having a common cold and Norwalk/Norovirus..
When sick I wear a mask & gloves & if it's bad I cancel the orders or work with my clients to move the dates if possible. I will also pass my orders on to a friend if need be. Better to be safe than sorry.

bakingpw Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 10

Here in NY we are required to take the ServSafe course, I'm sure other states require it as well. Our instructor told us a story about an entire wedding reception getting sick at a very busy venue that had used 3 different bakeries. His responsibility was to track down who spread the disease. He investigated each bakery and found that the baker who had only decorated the outside had a cold with sneeze on that day. The bakery was then found culpable and fined.

I agree OP you did the right thing, too bad the customer doesn't appreciate your consideration.

On another note: I one time in 6 years had to cancel and order. I got a call from the nursing home that my mom was on her death bed in another state - I went to be with her. My mother passed away that night. I cancelled the order with full explanation and customer left me a message telling me how selfish I was and now, I "had ruined her party". How I wanted to respond - but didn't. Some people just aren't worth the time.

ChRiStY_71 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 10

I wouldn't cook for my own family if I were contagious, so I definitely wouldn't cook for others. Masks and gloves if I am feeling the slightest bit sick.

LNW Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Here in NY we are required to take the ServSafe course, I'm sure other states require it as well. Our instructor told us a story about an entire wedding reception getting sick at a very busy venue that had used 3 different bakeries. His responsibility was to track down who spread the disease. He investigated each bakery and found that the baker who had only decorated the outside had a cold with sneeze on that day. The bakery was then found culpable and fined.

I agree OP you did the right thing, too bad the customer doesn't appreciate your consideration.

On another note: I one time in 6 years had to cancel and order. I got a call from the nursing home that my mom was on her death bed in another state - I went to be with her. My mother passed away that night. I cancelled the order with full explanation and customer left me a message telling me how selfish I was and now, I "had ruined her party". How I wanted to respond - but didn't. Some people just aren't worth the time.

icon_eek.gif I am SO sorry she did that! What a nasty woman. I am very sorry about your loss.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%