Refrigerated Cake Batter Life

Decorating By kimbordeaux Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 2:20am by zoraya

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 7

I had some cake batter left after an order so I covered bowl with Saran Wrap and placed it in fridge Friday. I was wondering how long is the batter good for? Batter has eggs and sour cream in it. I kind of figure if the eggs don't expire for a week and the sour cream for month I should be okay but, I do not want to make anyone sick.

Thanks!

6 replies
karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:32am
post #2 of 7

I think it should be fine.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #3 of 7

According to Rose's Heavenly Cakes book, cake batter can be refrigerated for an hour. Your batter wouldn't make anybody sick, it probably just wouldn't "work" (rise, etc).

Worth trying though thumbs_up.gif .

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 7

I use doctored box mixes, and they bake up fine after resting in the fridge for much longer than an hour. I can't remember if I've left the batter for more than a day, but the baked cake turned out just as it would have if I'd used fresh batter.

There have been other threads discussing refrigerating and even freezing batter and how box mixes generally work fine afterwards but that some scratch recipes won't react the same.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:21am
post #5 of 7

I've always read that you should use your cake batter right away or it will not maintain its integrity i.e., may not rise, may have funky texture, etc.

If I have leftover that I can't use right away, it goes in the trash.

LulaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LulaCakes Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:06am
post #6 of 7

I ran out of energy & time the other day in the middle of caking - still had unused batter. I covered it well, threw it in the freezer (where it stayed for 2 days) thawed in fridge, whipped it a bit and made cupcakes. They turned out beautifully. Great domes and tasted delish. icon_biggrin.gif

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7

I left doctored batter in the fridge for a week and it still baked up just fine and tasted great! Now granted, I only tested this out on my family. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%