rntyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rntyler Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have a good chocolate cake recipe they are willing to share

11 replies
sinstl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinstl Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 12

I like the one on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. Turns out moist and delicious every time!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinstl

I like the one on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. Turns out moist and delicious every time!

Ditto. This is my "go to" chocolate cake recipe.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 12

I use the recipe on the back of the Hersheys cocoa can.
Works wonderfully every time.
Even when you use another brand of cocoa.
Chef Angie

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 12

I have made this recipe several times. It was loved by many. I made my son's groom's cake with this recipe and it was served at the Rehearsal Dinner. People kept telling me it was the best chocolate cake ever. The next day, when I arrived at the church before the wedding, I saw three of the Groomsmen as I was coming in the door. They said, "That was the best cake ever last night." I told them there were only two pieces left and I had put them in the refrigerator in the kitchen. They smiled and headed straight for the kitchen to devour it. It is a very moist cake, not bitter, just sweet enough, and not dense and heavy like many chocolate recipes are.

I actually got the recipe off the internet and I can't remember exactly where it was. It may have even been one from Hershey's website, just don't know, but here it is to share:

Black Magic Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (Batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.

rntyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rntyler Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:48am
post #6 of 12

Thank you everyone I will try soon

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:12am
post #7 of 12

Do you have an aversion to doctored mixes? If not I will happily share what I have discovered to be the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten!! Its moister than the Hersheys and it is not as dry as so many scratch mixes. It's dense enough to hold up under fondant and several layers. It is truly my perfect chocolate cake!!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:43am
post #8 of 12

Try the ones found here on CC...in the recipe section. Many members have rated them and you can choose from the one that sounds the best.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:00am
post #9 of 12

i,ve been making this recipe , since i saw it posted in a thread on c/c. Lot of decorators on here use it. Delicious.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:12am
post #10 of 12

Agreed! The Hershey's recipes is delicious, if you don't need a sturdy cake. It's so moist and tasty chocolately.

But I've switched to this recipe now: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-cake-recipe It's also moist and tasty, and much sturdier and easier to handle.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:19am
post #11 of 12

Foxicakes, what is your favorite chocolate cake recipe. Please share. tia

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:22am
post #12 of 12

"Darn Good Chocolate Cake" here on CC using chocolate milk instead of the water! It's good with or without the mini chocolate chps. This is the best sturdy chocolaty chocolate cake and I get rave reviews every time I use it. Wouldn't use any other chocolate recipe!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2163/darn-good-chocolate-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%