Cake Pics With Prices

Decorating By cupcakefrost Updated 2 May 2016 , 4:23pm by kakeladi

DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 12:02pm
post #421 of 699

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

if you want to successfully participate in capitalist economy you can't ignore the basic tenets of economics.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 12:05pm
post #422 of 699

AI would like to reiterate that I would have priced Smittya cake similar to her at $175. She gets it! Jeeze!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 12:16pm
post #423 of 699

A

Original message sent by thelittlecakery

What I do not understand is why so many experienced/established bakers are constantly putting down someone like smittyditty or myself who are here to learn, I feel like I we take hits left and right and are unwelcome by some here because we are new.

Citing some specific examples would be helpful. It's rare I see anyone be outright rude or mean.

It's true that I sometimes roll my eyes at a post or think of a snarky answer. Instead, I move on to the next post. I want to help! Sometimes its exhausting or ridiculous.

What kind of person post the "Help! ASAP!" Title followed by the "I have an order for this week. I need your best recipe, your best frosting, & all the tutorials you can find. Oh & what should I charge?" Really? That's just ridiculous. That person has no business selling cake! it certainly ismt professional! Still, it happens every week. And if there isn't a quick enough response, they'll post again in an hour.

Yesterday, there were 4 posts asking to price a cake on the front new post page. Those people hadn't even bothered to look at the posts first!

I didn't mean to turn this into a rant. I'm really to lazy to review all your posts to see why someone may have been mean to you. I do know most people just want to help.

sixinarow Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 1:24pm
post #424 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlecakery 

 

Yes, I am and thank you. I understand that many people are opening cake businesses and that only charge $20 for a $100 cake and that causes a big problem for those who are full-time bakers, who depend on selling cakes to feed their family. What I do not understand is why so many experienced/established bakers are constantly putting down someone like smittyditty or myself who are here to learn, I feel like I we take hits left and right and are unwelcome by some here because we are new. I realize there are many people who are not here with a ligament business, but I also do not think that everyone who is new should be treated that way.

 

I have learned a lot from reading threads in this forum.  While I have done research myself, it is nice to get others' input, but I do not want to be treated like I am stupid because I did not think about the fact that I would need to charge for the Styrofoam castle because I decorated that too (duh). That is why I am here to learn, as I believe smittyditty is as well. Just because we are new, does not mean we are here to undercut your prices and steal your clients.

I think what you have to keep in perspective is that this IS the way the professionals on CC put food in their kids' mouths and pay their bills. The same professionals we want to learn from and answer our questions, are the same professionals that are hurt by uninformed hobbists. It makes it harder on them when a hobby caker continues to undercut (not speaking about you) and makes it more difficult for them to get orders because someone who only does it on the side to supplement their income (I'm in the part-time group) is getting a fair amount of orders simply because of price. Your work is very neat and clean, but A LOT of the novice cakers that are charging on the cheap are promising Yuma Couture cakes at a grocery store price...and deliver cake wrecks daily. Which, in turn, hurts the reputation of the business in general and sets legitimate bakers up to look like they are price gouging and trying to nickle and dime every bride that comes their way. There are so many threads about novice bakers deciding that they're going to make their first ever cake...a wedding cake..on the cheap (what's the big deal, it's only one cake and it gives ME experience)...they wait until the last minute to bake/decorate and flood the threads with emergency HELP questions that people take the time to answer and try to help fix..every..single..day. It usually turns into a cake wreck that was really disappointing to a bride (how could they be mean to me and want their money back?) on her wedding day. I personally think it is pretty darn selfish to take an order that you have no business doing just to gain the experience when you are going to ruin someones wedding day/first birthday/special event. It doesn't just effect that one person, it's a trickle down effect for the industry.

 

This has been one of the most civil discussions on pricing that I've seen on CC, I think if you realize that the professionals on here are dealing with this directly, every single day, you might understand a little more as to why this is a sore spot for a lot of them. It isn't "just a cake" for them, it's their job, their kids' futures, their house payment along with their passion. I don't know a lot of other professions that would have an entire website devoted to sharing their best recipes and decorating tips or tricks. That's pretty generous. You are welcome here, just try to see the other side of the coin. When professionals get onto someone about undercharging, it usually isn't directed at that single person, it's the under cutters (there are a lot of them) that refuse to learn about pricing and continue to post "price this cake" thread and then get indignant about the answers they receive. There is a minimum wage for a reason, when novice baker's pay themselves less than minimum wage, it hurts the industry as a whole. I hope you are finding the answers that you need on CC!

BatterUpCake Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 1:53pm
post #425 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

I think what you have to keep in perspective is that this IS the way the professionals on CC put food in their kids' mouths and pay their bills. The same professionals we want to learn from and answer our questions, are the same professionals that are hurt by uninformed hobbists. It makes it harder on them when a hobby caker continues to undercut (not speaking about you) and makes it more difficult for them to get orders because someone who only does it on the side to supplement their income (I'm in the part-time group) is getting a fair amount of orders simply because of price. Your work is very neat and clean, but A LOT of the novice cakers that are charging on the cheap (But if this one is not why would that effect the way people speak to her/him?) are promising Yuma Couture cakes at a grocery store price...and deliver cake wrecks daily. Which, in turn, hurts the reputation of the business in general and sets legitimate bakers up to look like they are price gouging (When someone buys a cake on the cheap and it turns out like crap it makes legitimate bakers look better. People then see that they get what they pay for. It would be worse for the home baker to do a fabulous job and charge $10..that would make the consumer wonder why they pay so much at so &so bakery when "anyone can do it")and trying to nickle and dime every bride that comes their way. There are so many threads about novice bakers deciding that they're going to make their first ever cake...a wedding cake..on the cheap (what's the big deal, it's only one cake and it gives ME experience)...they wait until the last minute to bake/decorate and flood the threads with emergency HELP questions that people take the time to answer and try to help fix..every..single..day. It usually turns into a cake wreck that was really disappointing to a bride (how could they be mean to me and want their money back?) on her wedding day. I personally think it is pretty darn selfish to take an order that you have no business doing just to gain the experience when you are going to ruin someones wedding day/first birthday/special event. (This poster has done none of those thigs. His/Her only mistake was not knowing how to charge for the non-cake elements of a cake.He/she is here to learn)It doesn't just effect that one person, it's a trickle down effect for the industry.

 

This has been one of the most civil discussions on pricing that I've seen on CC (I agree, I have not seen anyone being rude to the OP in this thread.), I think if you realize that the professionals on here are dealing with this directly, every single day, you might understand a little more as to why this is a sore spot for a lot of them. It isn't "just a cake" for them, it's their job, their kids' futures, their house payment along with their passion. I don't know a lot of other professions that would have an entire website devoted to sharing their best recipes and decorating tips or tricks. That's pretty generous. You are welcome here, just try to see the other side of the coin. When professionals get onto someone about undercharging, it usually isn't directed at that single person, it's the under cutters (there are a lot of them) that refuse to learn about pricing and continue to post "price this cake" thread and then get indignant about the answers they receive. There is a minimum wage for a reason, when novice baker's pay themselves less than minimum wage, it hurts the industry as a whole. I hope you are finding the answers that you need on CC!

smittyditty Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 2:16pm
post #426 of 699

While I understand both sides of the coin, I would like to say this...Tack can be given in any situation. People are constantly assuming that the at home baker is one of the worst case scenarios that Sixinarow gave above.

 

Now are there tons of posts on CC that are maddening "YES"

(This in no way has to do with anyone on this thread this is an example that is all.)

 

However, responding with "Not to be snarky but can't you just google...or Please another one of these?" both of which I have seen numerous times on CC..lol isn't tactful. True but not tactful.

To those posts just simply don't reply. That way, someone who is new (not totally driven crazy by them yet) can respond in a tactful way. Like I said I get the other side of the coin.

I'm not sure about the conversation with ThelittleCakery.

I just wanted to add that what she describes as an attitude that people are stupid on here happens all the time. Understandable you are frustrated with the problems that happen with posts.

For example I was searching for an elephant cake idea and I read the previous posts religiously.  Someone asked for 3d cake examples and the immediate response of "Seriously just check the internet and the forums of pictures." With more nastiness but I can't remember what.

Anyhow in the end the poster was right to post because so many cakes had been tagged wrong. So there were only about 3pages or less cakes in 3D. Some of which weren't even 3D. Then in just "elephant" it was about 65 pages which about most of the first 12 had no 3d elephants.

Soooo you could understand why the OP asked who had 3d pictures to share, when time is money, to look through 65pages that don't even fit her criteria? Someone online at that moment might have one.

So this was just one example of someone jumping on the OP about a thread before checking themselves and just assuming they were wasting thread time.

On the other side...I think how often it seems to happen is because when someone posts a snarky response just once on here that post then stays permanently on the forum. Then someone new, who is trying to do right and read past posts sees all the snarkyness added up.  They then think that cake people on here are wolves. lol Then they post something after thinking they have read everything they can find and someone is snarky to them and then they become a lurker.

I got so many PMs on here to stand by my side so that ought to tell you something..lol

Anyhow both sides have a point, but I think our side is never stated because we don't have the opportunity.

 

Many bakers have been AWESOME in helping me out with my dumb moments. I have read and seen many others who have been just nasty. My point in defending myself is, I don't want other people who lurk on here not to ask questions or use the website because of those moments. This is a great tool, however when people make untactful posts it adds to the forum log and takes away from the purpose of CC. In the end the annoying posts will never disappear it will just be a new person the next day.  So the snarkyness does nothing to solve the problem. Why not have a moderator to approve posts and weed those out?

jason_kraft Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 2:36pm
post #427 of 699

AI agree that snarky posts are not helpful. The moderators here are generally not proactive, so if you see a "rude" post you can click the red flag button under the post to alert them.

That said, I don't think asking someone to do a search when a topic has been covered many times before is snarky, tactless, or unnecessary.

sixinarow Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 2:41pm
post #428 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 
 

It won't let me quote your replies to my post (must be too long haha) so I'll number the replies instead! 

1.Unfortunately, people have pictures of cakes in their portfolios that are not their work. Or they don't have a portfolio and when someone brings them in a gorgeous picture from a magazine and ask if they can make this cake, they say "sure, I can do that!" and the client expects the picture then they get a cake wreck.

 

2.I don't think it helps the legitimate baker's when a client ends up with a cake wreck. I think it leads to distrust towards custom cake designers in particular, along with articles on The Knot and bridal magazines about how to haggle cake prices down (insinuating that people are ripped off by custom cake designers who are over charging). I think a lot of people lump groups of professions together (ie lawyers are weasels, used car dealers are crooks, kindergarten teachers are sweet) for good or for bad, the first experience you have with someone in an industry that you are not familiar with tends to set an impression about that industry as a whole. If you do get lucky and actually get a baker who does a great job but under prices, you're right, it hurts everyone who is charging correctly because they expect more at a rock bottom price that isn't maintainable. Either way, it hurts.

 

3.I was not speaking directly to the OP in some of the scenarios I brought up. As I stated, the reason for my reply was to her statement that she doesn't feel welcomed by the professionals on this sight and that they were responding rudely. I was trying to offer her some insight as to why they react/respond the way they do so she might be able to understand some of their frustrations with not just her post but the other 4000+ pricing and help posts. The professionals on this sight do a pretty good job (most of the time icon_rolleyes.gif) with trying to really help anyone who has questions and actually take time to answer and help problem solve with them. But there are times that some posters (not talking about OP) need a high-five in the face to snap them back to reality and the pros on here are willing to do that also! It helps to understand where they are coming from.

sixinarow Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 3:00pm
post #429 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

While I understand both sides of the coin, I would like to say this...Tack can be given in any situation. People are constantly assuming that the at home baker is one of the worst case scenarios that Sixinarow gave above.

 

Please realize, I am a part-time home baker also. I work by butt off to make cakes for the clients I have in the middle of homeschooling 6 kids. But I don't defend other home bakers who under charge or have no idea of what they're doing and really, shouldn't be selling at all. It frustrates me because as soon as someone finds out I make cakes, EVERYONE has a cousin, aunt, friend who makes $20-star-tip-piped cakes and that's what they expect mine to be priced at also. I understand feeling like you are constantly defending yourself, I get it too, I have no desire to open a storefront or expand my business. I just want to make great cakes and continue to learn as I go. You're not going to gel with everyone on here, hopefully, you'll find a few people who you can feel "safe" asking questions to and know they won't respond in an unkind way.

 

 

Many bakers have been AWESOME in helping me out with my dumb moments. I have read and seen many others who have been just nasty. My point in defending myself is, I don't want other people who lurk on here not to ask questions or use the website because of those moments. This is a great tool, however when people make untactful posts it adds to the forum log and takes away from the purpose of CC. In the end the annoying posts will never disappear it will just be a new person the next day.  So the snarkyness does nothing to solve the problem. Why not have a moderator to approve posts and weed those out?

 

There are going to be nasty, snarky, rude people everywhere. I've seen many of those posts also, but I didn't feel this thread was one of them. Ignore the grumps, if they go out of their way to try to put someone down to make themselves feel better, they must have a pretty sad REAL life. With any social media, people are going to take advantage of being anonomous and think they can say anything they want. Hugs to you, don't let it discourage you, I hope I didn't.

BatterUpCake Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 3:07pm
post #430 of 699

LOL..the Op...dropped out of this thread awhile ago I think....Sadly when I was a the Baking and Pastry school the Chef was very familiar with this site and the snarkiness that goes on... That is not the purpose of the site but that is what a bunch of us newbies get. I learned quick to take what I need and leave the rest when it comes to advice. You can give the best advice in the world but if it's not constructive I am going to turn you off. NOT TALKING to anyone in particular. These are just general statements....

smittyditty Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 3:51pm
post #431 of 699

Well sixinarow not to digress, because yes I moved on, but apparently I need to give a very real and recent statement.

When said poster only a few pages back commented to me she was yes snarky and rude.

Example:

The original statement was something along the lines of "I thought you were a professional."

So once she found out that I didn't have a degree she then treats me like I'm one of the 40,000 plus posters on here.

Because I have a Chef jacket then I should have a degree to go with it and because I don't I'm not a REAL professional.

 

There were more including the way I was addressed initially by the poster. I know ppl are like this any where you go, so it doesn't

bother me like some. That is my point though, some do get offended and never post again. The newbie readers or readers of this post.

 

Or posts like home bakers are a dime a dozen and they burn out just as fast.

The comments are really endless..lol..sad but true.

 

The frustration is that this thread is a learning thread. Even if the cake decorator that you are describing Sixinarow that charges $20 for a star-piped cake comes

tothis thread they are trying to learn. Tactfully we should tell them to value their work more and do better. If we don't and someone is mean to them that doesn't help them at all (NOT saying you) and the problem continues. The posters in this thread that have charged yes $100s of dollars too low need to do their homework, but they are also coming on here to learn why it was wrong. I get being mad at someone who just posts on any other thread about something else and getting mad at them boasting about their $20 cake that is star-piped just not on this thread.

Six I have no issues with anyone everyone is free to their opinion.

jason_kraft Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:08pm
post #432 of 699

A

Original message sent by smittyditty

When said poster only a few pages back commented to me she was yes snarky and rude. Example: The original statement was something along the lines of "I thought you were a professional." So once she found out that I didn't have a degree she then treats me like I'm one of the 40,000 plus posters on here. Because I have a Chef jacket then I should have a degree to go with it and because I don't I'm not a REAL professional.

I agree that the post you quoted was somewhat snarky, but the issue was not about having a degree, it was about taking into account all the costs involved in creating a cake when determining a price. This is especially true when you are talking about a 3D cake, where it usually makes more sense to set a flat price for the cake instead of a per-serving price.

If you found the quoted part of the post offensive you may find it more productive in the future to just alert the mods instead of rehashing the comment and your reaction to it.

sixinarow Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:11pm
post #433 of 699

AYou're right, I had forgotten that exchange. Must've blocked it from my memory...I agree that more tact would help, but don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:26pm
post #434 of 699

AI disagree with Jason. I think it's essential to call someone out on being rude. For clarification, someone absolutely was rude to her.

Also, Smitty realized she undercharged & stated a very reasonable price she would charge in the future. For some absurd reason, that was ignored. Someone even stated the reasonable price was still too low! It was within $20 of what I would charge.

jason_kraft Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:30pm
post #435 of 699

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

I disagree with Jason. I think it's essential to call someone out on being rude. For clarification, someone absolutely was rude to her.

I don't think it's a problem to call someone out when they are rude, but I'm not sure why it is still being rehashed five days after the comment was posted.

BatterUpCake Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:33pm
post #436 of 699

I guess because everyone keeps posting???

sixinarow Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:34pm
post #437 of 699

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

I don't think it's a problem to call someone out when they are rude, but I'm not sure why it is still being rehashed five days after the comment was posted.

Because I obviously have a memory like a goldfish and didn't remember the rude change when I said I didn't think this thread was rude. It's ALL MY FAULT Jason!!!! ;)

smittyditty Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:41pm
post #438 of 699

Jason it was because thelittlebakery made the comment that ppl on here treat home bakers like they are stupid.

They were offended by something someone said and felt it was relevant to my poster.

I was merely trying to make a point about the fact that it does happen. I was trying not to rehash by giving different examples of the same thing that happens.

I only gave a rehash because sixinarow forgot the comments made in this thread.

I then did not put that posters name because I was trying to not rehash..it was merely for point to support the other baker who was offended and to prove that the poster in this thread was yes rude.

 

So anyhow yes lets all move one we obviously aren't the problem and lets get to pricing some cakes. Who is the most brave and next contestant after all of that...LOL

howsweet Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 11:45pm
post #439 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

While I understand both sides of the coin, I would like to say this...Tack can be given in any situation. People are constantly assuming that the at home baker is one of the worst case scenarios that Sixinarow gave above.

 

Now are there tons of posts on CC that are maddening "YES"

(This in no way has to do with anyone on this thread this is an example that is all.)

 

However, responding with "Not to be snarky but can't you just google...or Please another one of these?" both of which I have seen numerous times on CC..lol isn't tactful. True but not tactful.

To those posts just simply don't reply. That way, someone who is new (not totally driven crazy by them yet) can respond in a tactful way. Like I said I get the other side of the coin.

I'm not sure about the conversation with ThelittleCakery.

I just wanted to add that what she describes as an attitude that people are stupid on here happens all the time. Understandable you are frustrated with the problems that happen with posts.

For example I was searching for an elephant cake idea and I read the previous posts religiously.  Someone asked for 3d cake examples and the immediate response of "Seriously just check the internet and the forums of pictures." With more nastiness but I can't remember what.

Anyhow in the end the poster was right to post because so many cakes had been tagged wrong. So there were only about 3pages or less cakes in 3D. Some of which weren't even 3D. Then in just "elephant" it was about 65 pages which about most of the first 12 had no 3d elephants.

Soooo you could understand why the OP asked who had 3d pictures to share, when time is money, to look through 65pages that don't even fit her criteria? Someone online at that moment might have one.

So this was just one example of someone jumping on the OP about a thread before checking themselves and just assuming they were wasting thread time.

On the other side...I think how often it seems to happen is because when someone posts a snarky response just once on here that post then stays permanently on the forum. Then someone new, who is trying to do right and read past posts sees all the snarkyness added up.  They then think that cake people on here are wolves. lol Then they post something after thinking they have read everything they can find and someone is snarky to them and then they become a lurker.

I got so many PMs on here to stand by my side so that ought to tell you something..lol

Anyhow both sides have a point, but I think our side is never stated because we don't have the opportunity.

 

Many bakers have been AWESOME in helping me out with my dumb moments. I have read and seen many others who have been just nasty. My point in defending myself is, I don't want other people who lurk on here not to ask questions or use the website because of those moments. This is a great tool, however when people make untactful posts it adds to the forum log and takes away from the purpose of CC. In the end the annoying posts will never disappear it will just be a new person the next day.  So the snarkyness does nothing to solve the problem. Why not have a moderator to approve posts and weed those out?

This is a lot of words spent on that..

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Well sixinarow not to digress, because yes I moved on, but apparently I need to give a very real and recent statement.

When said poster only a few pages back commented to me she was yes snarky and rude.

Example:

The original statement was something along the lines of "I thought you were a professional."

So once she found out that I didn't have a degree she then treats me like I'm one of the 40,000 plus posters on here.

Because I have a Chef jacket then I should have a degree to go with it and because I don't I'm not a REAL professional.

 

There were more including the way I was addressed initially by the poster. I know ppl are like this any where you go, so it doesn't

bother me like some. That is my point though, some do get offended and never post again. The newbie readers or readers of this post.

 

Or posts like home bakers are a dime a dozen and they burn out just as fast.

The comments are really endless..lol..sad but true.

 

The frustration is that this thread is a learning thread. Even if the cake decorator that you are describing Sixinarow that charges $20 for a star-piped cake comes

tothis thread they are trying to learn. Tactfully we should tell them to value their work more and do better. If we don't and someone is mean to them that doesn't help them at all (NOT saying you) and the problem continues. The posters in this thread that have charged yes $100s of dollars too low need to do their homework, but they are also coming on here to learn why it was wrong. I get being mad at someone who just posts on any other thread about something else and getting mad at them boasting about their $20 cake that is star-piped just not on this thread.

Six I have no issues with anyone everyone is free to their opinion.

Wow, I hope people will go back and read the untwisted version of what I said to you. Why didn't you mention that I was apologizing and explaining to you why I had been previously snarky. I had no idea the rest of my post was something you considered talking down to you. I can't read you mind and magically figure out where you are in life.

 

And after that last paragraph, I'm a little surprised you'd be calling me out for being condescending.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Jason it was because thelittlebakery made the comment that ppl on here treat home bakers like they are stupid.

They were offended by something someone said and felt it was relevant to my poster.

I was merely trying to make a point about the fact that it does happen. I was trying not to rehash by giving different examples of the same thing that happens.

I only gave a rehash because sixinarow forgot the comments made in this thread.

I then did not put that posters name because I was trying to not rehash..it was merely for point to support the other baker who was offended and to prove that the poster in this thread was yes rude.

 

So anyhow yes lets all move one we obviously aren't the problem and lets get to pricing some cakes. Who is the most brave and next contestant after all of that...LOL

 If you're done, it must be time to move on.

howsweet Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:20am
post #440 of 699

And in post #416, I said referring to you, Smitty, "What we had on this thread was very nice, earnest, articulate and intelligent person diligently use cake central to help price her cake and ( I'm sorry Smitty) yet still get it wrong."  Yes, still disagreeing with you, but being as respectful as possible. I think you painting of my was a little unbalanced. 

howsweet Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:21am
post #441 of 699

And in post #416, I said referring to you, Smitty, "What we had on this thread was very nice, earnest, articulate and intelligent person diligently use cake central to help price her cake and ( I'm sorry Smitty) yet still get it wrong."  Yes, still disagreeing with you, but being as respectful as possible. I think the picture you're trying to paint of me is a little unbalanced. 

 

(By the way, my point was that cake pricing is not a simple thing.)

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:46am
post #442 of 699

I can not believe I am actually taking the time to go back through this thread.  Honestly.  I think there were some things that were misunderstood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittyditty 
 

 I charged $100 but I should have charged $120. However I did get the bottom back so I can re-decorate and re-use!!!

Is Chocolate with Ganache filling and buttercream frosting. It serves 30. I tried to post before but I must have forgot to submit. I love this thread keep em coming!

 

 

I gotta say that Smitty took the time to use a price matrix and to research her area.  She misjudged how much time it would take.  Oh I have done that!  Upon reflection, she would now charge a bit more.  Comparatively, I would charge $175.  I live in a VERY different area and have a bit more experience.  Honestly, I don't thin $120 is unreasonable.

 

Bare with me I have to move to the next page to quote 

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:53am
post #443 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 


So you charged $3.33 per serving for 3 tiers of 3d sculpted cake that needs special support? And you think $4 a serving would have been the correct price? How long did it take you to make that? I pray that you're not in my city undercutting me with this sort of pricing.

 

Now this is where things began to go wrong.  I totally get what you were saying.  I hear the frustration.  $4 per serving may seem low for a sculpted cake.  In her area, it may not.  Some people would think $5.83 is low.  That's essentially what my $175 is.  Saying that you "pray" that someone isn't in your city isn't very nice.  It's not horrid, but it's not nice...especially when they are open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

 

[quote: smittyditty]

I'm sorry but I used a pricing matrix found on CC and adjusted towards my local baker. Yes I took this cake on before I even knew how I would construct it. This was my first 3D cake. I think you are going a bit strong on me. This thread is to learn prices. Its not like I am undercutting my local baker who only charges $3.25 for fondant. I would have charged the 20 for the base had I known the cost. It cost $6 for the pipe $2 for pvc and then I got the wood for free, foam for $3.

[/quote]

Rosie93095 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:54am
post #444 of 699

Okay folks, lets get back to the title of the threadicon_smile.gifI charged $500 for this one. Dark Chocolate cake with Raspberry Filling, Buttercream icing and fondant/gumpaste flowers and ribbons. Bride was celebrating her wedding, her birthday and her 10 years cancer free!

smittyditty Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:00am
post #445 of 699

Thanks DD.

 

That is a beautiful cake Rosie, thanks for sharing and getting us back on track.
 

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:02am
post #446 of 699

From there, it just went all crazy.

 

I think Howsweet may have come across a bit aggressive (some others stroked the fire) and Smitty may have been a bit defensive & sensitive to the antagonistic questioning that ensued.

 

As I re-read it, it wasn't as bad as I originally thought.  There were a few discussions going during all this that kind of fuel the fire of the "room."

 

Howsweet, please remember that Smitty may be in an area where the market bares a lower rate than you.  People North of Charleston tap out at about $3.00 per serving while it can go as high as $12 here.  Smitty, if you haven't already, go back and reread what all S/He wrote.  Try to see that it was written through the eyes of someone frustrated with people in her area undercutting.

 

Everyone:  really this thread is about trying to help each other.  I am more concerned with those who are truly naive in pricing but don't care.  They won't listen to reason and truly think they are making a profit.  Those are the ones making it hard for the industry not someone who is willing to learn.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:06am
post #447 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie93095 

 

 charged $500 for this one. Dark Chocolate cake with Raspberry Filling, Buttercream icing and fondant/gumpaste flowers and ribbons. Bride was celebrating her wedding, her birthday and her 10 years cancer free!

 

As a Cancer survivor, I love this cake!  I'm at about $475.

 

Rosie, where are you (not specifically but a general region if you don't mind).

smittyditty Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:15am
post #448 of 699

Oh ya I totally agree DD. I said a couple of times I'm fine that she called me out on price. It was just the way it was stated like you previously mentioned.

If you want to continue to talk PM me Howsweet. I really had moved on and was really only trying to help point out the side of the home baker.

We don't need to waste more time on the thread. I was really only trying to be supportive of a fellow baker and was trying to keep your name out.

smittyditty Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:17am
post #449 of 699

DD That is Awesome that you are a survivor! I unfortunately lost a very good friend to cancer, so when someone survives it makes me so happy. Such a horrible horrible disease and the cure is even worse.

Sonya Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:29am
post #450 of 699

Ok here is a cake I made for my cousins daughter's. I did not charge anything for it I always do the kids in the family cakes for their gift. White cake with Swiss meringue buttercream, and fresh strawberries and glaze between each tier. 12" square, 10" round, 8" round, half ball pan for the hat, 6" smash cake, and mini ball pan for hat on the smash cake. Ears, bows, small flowers on the top tier, name banner, and letters of the name was made out of gumpaste. The zebra stripes, white polka dots, minnie faces on the top tier was all fondant. Both hats are covered with fondant. It is sitting on a homemade cake board made out of foamcore wrapped with a pink plastic tablecloth, then wrapped with food safe clear plastic, ribbon added to the edge, and left over "rings" from sps plates glued on the bottom as feet. I live in a small town in NC and if I was charging for it next time it would have been $250.00. What would you charge?

 

aubrey.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%