Decorating By cupcakefrost Updated 2 May 2016 , 4:23pm by kakeladi

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:43pm
post #31 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakefrost

I charged 250 for these cupcakes, including the stand. There were 50 cupcakes in all, vanilla with cannoli cream icing, brown sugar on stand, and crushed cannoli shells on some of the cupcakes. Took me about an hour of planning and sketching, 2 hours baking, and 10 hours decorating, I think. Maybe it took longer, can't remember icon_smile.gif.
Long Island, NY
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1854547

I'm originally from Long Island icon_smile.gif. I know its OT, but Cannoli cream icing sounds amazing - my dad would love that for his birthday next month. Would you be willing to share your recipe?

I am going to be very honest here. . . I looked all over for a recipe, and got a recipe from cooks.com that sounded good. The taste was pretty good, but it was too runny to use as an icing. I tried adding more sugar to stiffen it- big mistake. I tried another recipe after that. Again, failure. After hours of trying to make it work, I simply went to my favorite bakery and bought their cannoli cream! OK, I know it's cheating, but it was an emergency and everyone loved it! LOL. icon_redface.gif
I had so many problems with this, though. I didn't realize the fondant decorations would start to melt in the icing, I guess because of the ricotta in the icing, not sure. Thankfully, I put them in just before the event, so they only melted a little and still looked great.
Not going to take any more orders with cannoli cream icing for a while! icon_lol.gif

suzieQ929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzieQ929 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #32 of 699

This is a baby shower cake done for a church friend's son and daughter in law. It is a 3 tiered, all buttercream, chocolate and yellow cake with strawberry cream filling. All the animals were made from modeling chocolate, fondant and the elephant from marzipan (a first 4 me and hated it).
It took me 13 hours (I think) and my supplies were $77. I charged $182.00 with a %, but after I reconfigured what it took me to do the cake, I think I should have charged $278.00. Here it is

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1927136

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:51pm
post #33 of 699

Piggie, mine are 17 months and 3 1/2 (as well as two older ones 8 & 11, but they will actually help with the little ones when they are home). I like the idea of figuring 75% of actual time.

Cupcake Frost, What a headache. Can you just limit the cannoli cream to a filling from now on? Then it won't effect your decorations. I miss good cannoli cake, I haven't found anywhere in the south that really does it well and I haven't been able to find a good recipe. I think that you need to use fresh ricotta, well drained rather than grocery store containers of it. That's what I've read, anyhow, of course I haven't tried it that way so I can't say it makes a difference or not. I haven't had the time to test out that theory icon_smile.gif.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:52pm
post #34 of 699

Hi Everyone, I just bake for my family but would like to know what my cakes would go for if I sold them. So I'm really interested in seeing everyones photos & prices. Could you include the size of your cakes?? When you look at a photo you can't tell if it is an 6" cake or an 10" cakes. Thanks.

cupcakefrost Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:00pm
post #35 of 699

Here is a football jersey cake I made. Used a sheet pan, about 12 x 19. The sleeves were rice krispies, and cake. I hand[painted the tickets, but am looking into an edible printer! icon_smile.gif
Location- Long Island, NY
Total time- about 10 hours
Servings- about 25, I guess
Price- 150, for a friend
http://media.cakecentral.com/gallery/697002/1297637444.jpg

cupcakefrost Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:06pm
post #36 of 699

This was an 8-inch farm cake, that was part of an order which also included 40 cupcakes. Some of the cupcakes had farm animal sculptures, and some had the birthday boy and girl's names and age on a fondant circle. I didn't post a pic of the cupcakes here. Got lots of inspiration from farm cake pics here, thanks!
This took me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. lol

1 cake- red velvet with crm cheese, 40 cupcakes-vanilla and chocolate, 35 sugar cookies, decorated like farm animals
Price- 280 (definitely undercharged)
Location- Long Island, NY
total time- about 45 hours!!!! I learned my lesson for undercharging on little sculptures. haha
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1778688

misscrazy4cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misscrazy4cakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:07pm
post #37 of 699

I think this is a great idea! I try to always include the sizes of my cakes. I currently only bake for family and friends, and I have a family friend whose company orders birthday cakes from me. The family friend is really cheap....and so she always complains about the price. When they first ordered a cake from me I had no idea for pricing so I charged $35 for a 12" 4 layer red velvet cake from scratch. It was over 4" tall. Plus....she wanted me to deliver it to her which was 1 hour away! So it actually cost me to make the cake!

Then someone else from her office order a 12" red velvet cake for christmas with cream cheese icing which is more expensive for me to make than buttercream. I told her $40 and she freaked out on me...and the cake wasnt even for her!

Anyway...it would be very helpful to post prices as I am fairly new to this and I know I am undercharging but I feel I am still learning and feel guilty charging people.

Katherinej51679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katherinej51679 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #38 of 699

wow! you guys do great work!!! Where are you from cupcakefrost and full house? I get laughed at if I charge over $100 for a bday cake! I had a wedding order that was the wedding cake, grooms cake and a bday cake for the brides 13 yr old daughter.....They all 3 totaled close to $1000 but they were big spectacular cakes. One of them was a 3D turkey. Anyway, she cancelled about 2 months after the tasting and never would tell me why....I'm pretty sure it was the price. Thanks for sharing!

Katherinej51679 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #39 of 699

wow! you guys do great work!!! Where are you from cupcakefrost and full house? I get laughed at if I charge over $100 for a bday cake! I had a wedding order that was the wedding cake, grooms cake and a bday cake for the brides 13 yr old daughter.....They all 3 totaled close to $1000 but they were big spectacular cakes. One of them was a 3D turkey. Anyway, she cancelled about 2 months after the tasting and never would tell me why....I'm pretty sure it was the price. Thanks for sharing!

cupcakefrost Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #40 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherinej51679

Thanks, I am from Long Island, NY. Originally from Yonkers, NY (Had to give a shout-out icon_smile.gif).
I also feel nervous when giving prices, because they may sound high for cake to some people, but if they knew how much work was involved, they would understand. After a few stressful cakes I got almost nothing for, I have learned to charge more. And the worst that can happen is they say no. I'd rather have someone say no to me than work my butt off for pennies.

Katherinej51679 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:00pm
post #41 of 699
Quote:
Quote:

Pinkpiggie, I'm in an upper middle class area of NC. The baking, making fondant, making icing, torting, filling took me about 5 hours (I'm slow and SO want an agbay). The decorating took about 8-9 hours, I think - hard to tell, because with little ones around, I have to stop and start quite a bit so the fondant was colored at one time, figures were done one night, barn the next day, etc.

I also think I work slow, but not sure how long someone else would take doing the same thing. I don't like to base pricing on my time, because I feel like I work a little slower than I should - but I'd be happy for others to weigh in on how long it takes them to do similar work.

I am in Dothan, AL and it takes me a loooong time to make the batter, the icing, the fondant, color it all, bake the cake, etc. I also have little ones (23 mos & 5yrs) and they destroy the house while I am working. So, a cake can take me an entire week to assemble from start to finish. I like to have several at a time to work on, so that I can at least make it worth while. I have been offered 2 different bakeries here in town, which is a dream come true, but the Lord has shown me that my children MUST take priority and I have committed to homeschool. So, one day, I will have my bakery but it will be when my kids are older and can work there!
This is a cake I just did as part of a barter for professional portraits. It was about $120, i think but the details took forever. I used a beadmaker to save time on the balls, forgetting about having to shave the thin spots off of each one. Its a 12x16 sheet carved out in the middle. Prob cost me $50 to make, just for ingredients and many hours.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1948544

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #42 of 699

the first and only cake i have sold (at home baker and cant sell out of home here) i undercharged drastically for how long it took me to make it. it was a 13x9 cake carved into a fish, and i hand piped over a thousand scales onto the fish. then airbrushed to look like a rainbow trout. took me around 6 hours not including baking time to do it. i was paid $25 for that one. but when i quote a wedding cake (way under again as it was for a friend) 3 tier, mmf, gum paste flowers, at $85, i got the omg are you kidding?!? reaction...

Katherinej51679 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:14pm
post #43 of 699

I know for a fact that this cake took me and my friend over 50 hrs to make...this is the one we had in the competition and we spent hundreds on supplies. We used wilton fondant to cover the dummies, the corset part was real cake. Normally, we both make our fondant but bc it had to stay on display for a week, we wanted to use wilton. We decided it would be $3000, easily.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1852023

This one was $80 and it is a 10" and a 7" covered in MMF. The initial on top was $8 at michaels (after my 40% off coupon)
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1777235

Katherinej51679 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:17pm
post #44 of 699

This was $300, took me a very long time, several days actually. Served 200, i can't remember the sizes! ugh! Should've been $600!
  http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1759825

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #45 of 699
Quote:

Quote:

I'd rather have someone say no to me than work my butt off for pennies.

Ditto! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif - I'm from NC.

Katherinej51679 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:24pm
post #46 of 699

this is another dummy cake that I just finished...its by far my favorite and simplest cake ever! I would charge $600 for a real version. This was done for some good ol' free advertising! I spent $100 on the wilton fondant, flowers, had to buy the colors bc I didn't have them, the ribbons...anyway, I'm not sure how I spent $100 but it was close. Having to go to town 3 times with my kids and having to buy them lunch every time, I guess, ate up a lot of the $$ too.LOL But i LOVED this cake!
I'd like to make one just to keep in my houseicon_smile.gif
  http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1946287

cupcakefrost Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:29pm
post #47 of 699
Quote:

This was $300, took me a very long time, several days actually. Served 200, i can't remember the sizes! ugh! Should've been $600!
  http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1759825

Hi, Katherine! I'm curious to see this pic. Love your other ones!!! This link is not working though. Maybe you have to hit the space bar after it?
Thanks for posting!

cupcakefrost Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:35pm
post #48 of 699

I'm so excited that this post is getting so many responses!!! I knew I couldn't be the only one wondering how much to charge!! LOL.
Thanks to you all for posting your pics and prices!! Keep posting 'em! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cupcakefrost Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:37pm
post #49 of 699
Quote:

I do great work??! I just looked at your creations. . . AMAZING!!!! Wow, I hope to one day get that good! icon_smile.gif Thanks for posting prices! I say, don't be afraid to charge. If they don't want to pay, they don't have to, but your work is definitely worth the money!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #50 of 699

I love, love, love this thread! Not only do I find the pricing info interesting/helpful, but I also like that many of you have posted how long it took you to make the cake. I often beat myself over how long it takes me, so it is soo nice to see that others spend countless hours on their cakes, too.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:57pm
post #51 of 699
Quote:

This Bible cake was for a christening, and fed about 40 people. I charged 175.
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1592458

I'm curious why you charged 175 for this cake. Is it because the cake is carved? or did you figure the price based on the number of servings?

KathysCC Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #52 of 699
Quote:

I've never tried to make my own. . . seems like too much of a hassle, lol.

I thought the same way as you for such a long time, that homemade fondant was too much of a hassle. Then I discovered how simple it was to make MMF. It tastes SO much better than any of the pre-made fondants and is just SO easy to make...really, you wouldn't believe it. It also saves a lot of money.

It isn't great for figure making but you can't beat it for covering a cake. You should try it just once. icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:08pm
post #53 of 699
Quote:

but the Lord has shown me that my children MUST take priority and I have committed to homeschool. So, one day, I will have my bakery but it will be when my kids are older and can work there!

thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

KathysCC Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:09pm
post #54 of 699
Quote:

this is another dummy cake that I just finished...its by far my favorite and simplest cake ever! I would charge $600 for a real version. This was done for some good ol' free advertising! I spent $100 on the wilton fondant, flowers, had to buy the colors bc I didn't have them, the ribbons...anyway, I'm not sure how I spent $100 but it was close. Having to go to town 3 times with my kids and having to buy them lunch every time, I guess, ate up a lot of the $$ too.LOL But i LOVED this cake!
I'd like to make one just to keep in my houseicon_smile.gif
  http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1946287

Wow, you are just so talented!

momd68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momd68 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:20pm
post #55 of 699

I love this post.. however, I still have lots of learning before I even think about doing this as a business which 1 day I really would like to. I see some of you add in the charge for how many hours it takes as well as other factors. OK.. so when you do that are you estimating on how long it will take when you tell the customer what you will charge them? I know I would want to know before I ordered a cake how much I would be looking at paying before I ordered. I have only been making my children's b-day cake for a couple years now and still have a lot to learn.

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 8:09pm
post #56 of 699

make this for a baby shower, 10 inch and 8 inch figures were make with fondant and trees were RKT, it was my gift but i would have charged about $235.oo and i would be charging more for all the figures

ontario canada
78 serving
MMF and butter cream
cinnamon roll cake
8hrs?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1867414

baby shower cake again
8-6 inch
36 servings
MMF with buttercream
chocolate chip cookie cake with cookie dough filling
3.5 hours
$ 120.00

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1940635

cupcakefrost Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #57 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:

This Bible cake was for a christening, and fed about 40 people. I charged 175.
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1592458

I'm curious why you charged 175 for this cake. Is it because the cake is carved? or did you figure the price based on the number of servings?

I double-checked and saw that I actually charged 150 for this cake, including delivery. It was the second time I made this cake, and knew the work it would entail. Personally, I think it's worth 175 anyway. icon_smile.gif Took about 8 hours, and it's bigger than it looks.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:53am
post #58 of 699

Whats cookie dough filling? Sounds delicious!

cupcakefrost Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:54am
post #59 of 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:

I've never tried to make my own. . . seems like too much of a hassle, lol.

I thought the same way as you for such a long time, that homemade fondant was too much of a hassle. Then I discovered how simple it was to make MMF. It tastes SO much better than any of the pre-made fondants and is just SO easy to make...really, you wouldn't believe it. It also saves a lot of money.

It isn't great for figure making but you can't beat it for covering a cake. You should try it just once. icon_smile.gif

I'm sure I'll try it eventually. . . just so much to bake the cake, make all the fillings, and decorate. That takes me long enough, lol. But I agree; it would save me a lot of money!

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:08pm
post #60 of 699

i got this off the a link from cc called gourmet flavors, it really good!!!. i have made it without the bettercream because your are only speading it on top, and i find white chocolate pudding really gritty.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filling - HeatherC
2 cups Bettercreme
1 small pkg. White Chocolate pudding mix
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Whip 2 cups liquid Bettercreme with small pkg. pudding until thick. Refrigerate.
Cream butter and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add water and vanilla. Gradually add flour. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cake layer and cover with Bettercreme mixture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%