Help With The Timeline For Making My Own Wedding Cake!

Decorating By kirarae Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm by kirarae

kirarae Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 7

Alright all you cake genious gurus out there, I need some serious timeline help here. I'm making my own wedding cake in July and I'm trying to have every step of the cake making process preplanned and set up so that when the time comes, I can just move down the list and checks steps off as I go. However, I'm used to working under pressure and finishing at the last possible minute when I make cakes...even wedding cakes. This time, the last possible minute won't be 30 minutes before the ceremony or an hour before the reception. It'll be mid-day on the day before the wedding. Can anyone help me out with figuring out what day I should bake (I'm used to freezing but I don't want to freeze TOO far in advance), what day I should make the buttercream, what day to make the decorative pieces, what day to take them out and crumb coat, when to put on the final buttercream coat, when to cover with the modeling chocolate, and when to dowl and stack.
Just so everyone knows what I'm working with here, I'm planning on recreating the birch tree cake that the CakeGirls made on an episode of Amazing Wedding Cakes. It will be 3 tiers, a scratch white cake mix, buttercream frosting, covered in white modeling chocolate (not fondant), and decorated with modeling chocolate sculptures of branches, mushrooms, butterflies, and leaves.
Thanks in advance!

6 replies
erin2345 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 12:57am
post #2 of 7

is there any way you can just make a fake cake? That is what I did for my wedding .... finished it earlier in the week and dropped it off at the venue the day before.
There is no way you will have enough time to finish the cake the day of your wedding! Even though it may seem you only have a few things to do, they take forever (hair, makeup, getting dressesd etc.). Plus, you don't want to be stressed the day of your wedding over a cake!
If you want your guests to eat your cake - make cupcakes ... that is what I did. Baked them all ahead of time, threw them in the freezer, then the day before made a couple batches of BC and iced them up, and delivered them to the venue - they set aside a fridge just for my cupcakes.
Good luck with everything!

kirarae Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:08am
post #3 of 7

Well, that's why I need help with a timeline. I don't want to have to do anything, except maybe throw on the decorations, any later than mid-day the day before the wedding. That way I can have it dropped off the morning of the wedding by trusted individuals and not have to worry about it at all.

EmilyJo9 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:30am
post #4 of 7

You could start 3 days before your wedding...
Day 1 - Bake, cool, Saran wrap, freeze, make modeling chocolate, make BC, make any decks that youre placing on the cake

Day 2 - Crumb coat, put on modeling chocolate.

Day 3 - Put on decos and make final touches.

This is the method I use for my bigger cakes and it works for me.
HTH Good Luck!!!

cs_confections Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:38am
post #5 of 7

My vote is for the dummy cake and cupcakes - you can finish it several days ahead of time and ensure it is perfect. There are so many tiny details that must be wrapped up right before your wedding - while tiny, the time they use adds up - and that's if everything is going perfect.

My thinking is July (heat) + wedding stress + wanting it to be perfect could = trouble! I've read stories from some cc members that did their own cake had a great time, but I've seen more where they did it but wouldn't recommend it. It's up to you and if you want to risk that detail not being as perfect as you envision or letting wedding aspects lapse to try to make your cake great. Who knows, everything may fall perfectly in place, but it's a risk and they usually don't!

Whatever you decide, good luck, congrats on your upcoming wedding, and I hope you have lots of fun!

mccorda Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:53am
post #6 of 7

It can be done! I made my daughter's wedding cake, a cheesecake for the groom and creampuffs. In addition, I made jumbo pasta shells stuffed 2 ways, breadsticks plus chicken breast baked in garlic butter for 100. I was lucky that I had a friend and my sister-in-law to help with the reheating on the day of so I didn't have to.

Bake the cake up to 2 weeks before the wedding, wrap and freeze. Make your buttercream ahead and store in a cool place (or fridge depending on recipe). Make your decorations a week before. These are most of the time consuming parts. 2 days before the wedding, remove cakes from freezer, thaw, unwrap, crumbcoat and get as much done as you can that day. What you can't, finish the next morning and then enjoy the rest of the day!

kirarae Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you ladies! One of those timelines should work out beautifully!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%