Baking Comes Down To Ingredients

Baking By mykangaroo Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 11:48pm by Evoir

mykangaroo Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 2

I use Gold Medal all purpse flour. I also used Philsbury cake flour. I like to use hotel or land of lake butter. but sometime I feel that all the cake taste the same. I want to know if name brand makes a different? what is a good flour to bake? what is a good butter to use? what makes a good cake? I've make great box mix cake but really want to work with cake made from scratch. I really would like to learn more about good baking ingredients to make my bakiing better. desperately need baking help MyKangaroo Cake Girl

1 reply
Evoir Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 2

Hi there! Welcome to CC icon_smile.gif

For my cakes and baked goods I generally use a low-protein cake flour, which I buy in bulk. It results in a cake of finer texture with no toughness that can occur with more gluten-rich flours, including AP.

There are some recipes that specify to use AP, but I would recommend experiment with both AP AND cake flour to decide what gives you the best result. A key to successful scratch baking is documenting your methodology from startt o finish, and then making changes one a a time to get the result you want. Time-consuming? Yes. But anything worth doing is worth doing well, IMO.

In general, I feel you get what you pay for. You may be able to buy cheaper if you buy in bulk, thus become able to afford premium ingredients.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%