Is The $ Right On This??

Business By _beckett_ Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm by LindaF144a

_beckett_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_beckett_ Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a cake for 150 people at $4 dollars a person. 3 tiered topsy turvy cake with fondant decorations. No piping or figures. Does this seem like a fair average price. I'm also charging a $1 a mile for delivery.

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 5

To figure out whether that price works for you, you need to first calculate your costs. Add up your ingredient costs, labor costs, and overhead (rent, insurance, license fees, etc.) on a per-order basis, then add 20-30% for your profit margin.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 5

I agree. Without knowing where you're located we can't even begin to fatham a guess. If you're in Alaska or Hawaii then that is way to low. If you're in a rural farm area (hours from any large city) then you're probably too high for what others are charging. But if you're not making a profit then you're definitely to low.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:39am
post #4 of 5

Is it the $4/person that is causing you concern? Or is it the $600 invoice you're going to give to the client?

I find that many are bothered by a large invoice, without considering its enough cake feed ONE HUNDRED FIFTY people. Its how math works so go with it! thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with Indydeb. Sometimes we need to get over our own personal perception of sticker shock.

I still remember the day about 3 years ago that my DD and I were in a local bakery getting 5 dollars worth of cookies. The woman next to us was order a big order, the lady asked for a $750 deposit. What seemed like a ton of money for cake was nothing to them. Boy, have I learned since then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%