Tiered Cake With Flowers Between Layers ...

Decorating By shmily23 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 3:32pm by sillywabbitz

shmily23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shmily23 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone!

Just recieved a cake order and I'm in need of some adivce. Its for a three tiers but they want the flowers stacked in between the layers of the cakes. Now how am I to do this? Do I stack and place the stryo in between each layer after putting in the support dowels then cake on top of the styro?

TIA

5 replies
erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 6

I also am in need of this advice. Thanks in advance!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 6

Yep that's how you do it. If you use dowels your center dowel will go through the entire thing. I used SPS so there is no center dowel. This was my first cake doing this.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1800635

Things I learned:
Make your styrofoam separators closer to the size cake the will support
Make your flowers small enough to tuck in between the layers. Mine are slightly too big. I think a slightly taller separator would have looked better.
Cover you separators in corresponding fondant (that I at least did)
Make at least 6 extra flowers in case of breakage
Make smaller filler flowers and buds for the topper and if you want them between the layers.

If you use real flowers you can squish them all together to fill space but with gumpaste they leave small gaps and you have to account for that. I hope that helps a little.

sanfree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanfree Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

I've done two cakes like that. The first was a dummy cake and I used styrofoam separators between the tiers. Because it was a dummy cake I didn't have a dowel issue. the second cake was a real cake and I used Wilton separator plates with dowels....similar to SPS....I just wired the flowers together in small bunches and laid them on the cake in between the layers. The pictures are in my photos.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 6

You can also use the Wilton Tall Tier cake stand or any center post cake stand as well.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 6

Kitagirl, i just went snd looked that up. That would Have saved me a lot of frustrationicon_smile.gif next time I'll knowicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%