Gum Paste Cake Topper

Decorating By loml001 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 8:51pm by Laurelj

loml001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loml001 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a friends wedding cake in May, and she has asked for a topper with a variety of sized calla lilies. Should I try to wire them together? (I've done that once and the arrangement was a bit floppy) Should I make the lilies, leaves, filler flowers, etc, on individual wires or toothpicks & then stick into top of each cake? Or should I use a piece of styrofoam (or something like it), stick each of the individual flowers into the styrofoam, then place styrofoam on top of cake? It will be a crusting buttercream on the cakes.

3 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 4

If your arrangement was a bit floppy you need to use a heavier gauge wire to support your bouquet, callas are heavy so you may even want to tape two wires togher to support your sprays, Use the heavier wire to tape the rest of your arrangement to.
If you are going to stick wire into a cake you really need to use flower picks or Drinking straws ( like the ones from Mcdonalds to put the wire or even toothpicks into . ( wire is toxic and dangerous , and I don't like to risk a client accidently ingesting a toothpick ) I am insured for something like that happening but still wouldn't like to risk it.

Hope this Helps

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 4

If the topper is somewhat small, you can wire them together, but I find with a bunch of flowers, it's easier to stick them into foam that is covered with a piece of fondant to hide the foam.

HTH!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 4

Hi, my daughter and I just completed a wedding cake with a calle lilly topper. We used a half round of styrofoam to place the flowers individually. Then we used a u shaped wire placed through the styrofoam with about 5 inches coming out the bottom placed into straws in cake to secure. If you go to Facebook and search for Lille, we will be the first one to come up you can see our pics there. If I can figure out how to add pics to my profile here I will add them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%