Boys Are Dumb.

Lounge By FromScratchSF Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 9:17pm by DianeLM

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:16am
post #1 of 10

So I have to share... I love my hubbie, but sometimes he just doesn't get it!

He likes to offer advice about stuff he actually knows nothing about. He's helpful like that.

Like cake decorating.

I get a request today for a really large cake. If I book the job it'll be the biggest cake I've ever made.

I've never fondant covered an 18" cake. I am pregnant. I'll be 8 months preggers when the cake is due. I am trying to figure out how I'd roll out fondant with my big belly since I don't have access to a sheeter. And then lifting, covering etc... I'm thinking I should bow out of this order.

Conversation with hubbie goes like this:

Me: "I don't think I should take this job, I don't think I'd be able to roll the fondant..." (explain to hubbie what that actually means). icon_cry.gif

Hubbie: "I'll do it. I'll just get a pizza shovel."

Me. icon_confused.gif "Huh? Pizza shovel?"

H: "Yeah. It'll be easy. I'll roll it out and use the pizza shovel to move it."

Me: icon_eek.gif "Move what?"

H: dunce.gif "The fondant to the cake." thumbs_up.gif

Me: thumbsdown.gif "That won't work." Attempt to explain the flaws in his master plan...

H: icon_mad.gif"YES IT WILL!" (irritated I've insulted his ingenious idea to revolutionize the cake industry by the use of pizza shovels).

Me: "No Honey, it won't work because..." (cuts me off)

H: icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif"If you don't want my help don't ask for it". Walks away.

Me. icon_rolleyes.gif Sigh.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

9 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 10

icon_lol.gif Funny. Nice that he's so supportive, though.

FYI, the biggest cake I've covered was 14" and it was really hard, not so much the getting it on the cake but finding somewhere big enough to roll it, the kneading and actual rolling...and I'm not pregnant!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:49am
post #3 of 10

My "boys are dumb" story of the week:
We had to travel this weekend to help our son with his apartment. The night before, I set out my shampoo, conditioner, and a toothbrush cover on the sink so I wouldn't forget them. The next morning, as we are packing, I go into the bathroom to discover my husband has taken the toothbrush cover as his own. There's more in a drawer- he wouldn't have to take even one step to open the drawer and get one out. When I protested he said he didn't know it was mine.

Hello???? There's just the two of us living here. Who else would have gotten it out and set it with my other stuff? Didya see your shampoo, soap, or anything else on the sink? No? Imagine that? Get yer own; I'm not your mom. Geesh! Boys are dumb! lol

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:31am
post #4 of 10

OMG, this SO reminds me of my husband. He always has really uh icon_confused.gif great icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.gif ideas to help with my cakes....

Like when I was unhappy with the shape of my purse cake (in my photos), he thought I should just flip it upside-down. icon_confused.gif (Yes, it was already covered in fondant, and had a cut-to-size board under it)

Or, his really great idea to spin the cake really fast to get smooth buttercream icon_surprised.gif

He's had a few good ideas up his sleeve too though icon_rolleyes.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 10

I have a "boys are dumb" story. My SIL told me one day right after she and my BIL moved into their house, their toilet stopped up, well they had just moved in so they didnt have a plunger. My genius BIL went out to the carport and got....... a bicycle pump, the kind u move the handle up and down to pump your tires. He stuck the air blowing part down in the toilet and began pumping the handle, trying to blow air into the toilet and unclog it! Just picture it... a grown man pumping a bicycle pump up and down... the other end in the toilet! needless to say she went and bought a plunger.. icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 10

Actually, hubby isn't too far off. I've rolled out large pieces of fondant then transferred them to a large cake circle to move to the cake. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VannaD

I have a "boys are dumb" story. My SIL told me one day right after she and my BIL moved into their house, their toilet stopped up, well they had just moved in so they didnt have a plunger. My genius BIL went out to the carport and got....... a bicycle pump, the kind u move the handle up and down to pump your tires. He stuck the air blowing part down in the toilet and began pumping the handle, trying to blow air into the toilet and unclog it! Just picture it... a grown man pumping a bicycle pump up and down... the other end in the toilet! needless to say she went and bought a plunger.. icon_biggrin.gif

OK this made me LOL!!! icon_biggrin.gif

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 10

Then you should do a demo, use a dummy cake if you want. That'll give him the chance to show you what he means, and if it fails you will both have proof.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 10

Oh! I have an update - he came with me to the Restaurant Depot to help me with some stuff, walked directly over to the pizza shovels and wanted to buy one.

Me: "OK Honey, if you want to buy one then let's get it - it'll be great having a decorating assistant with you fondant cover all my cakes!"

Him: "Uh, well, I though it would be just the one cake?"

Me: "Well, you'll need to practice on smaller cakes first, you can't expect me to accept a $600 job without you having practiced your technique, so the best way to do that is for you to start helping me in the kitchen."

Him: Turns heel, putting pizza shovel back, never to be mentioned again. "Er, so! What's on your list?"

LOL! BTW, I did refer the job to someone else.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 10

OMG, that is hilarious! He wanted to buy a special tool for ONE cake only??? Silly goose. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%