Two Tier Confusion!

Decorating By theonlynameleft Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 2:09pm by kel58

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:16am
post #1 of 8

Hoping some of you seasoned cake decorators out there can help me with something. I am making a wedding cake for a workmates daughter this week. I have started doing my baking, and have done the bottom tier in a 14 inch. She wants a two tier to be able to to feed 100 - have a 10, 8 and 6 inch tins. I know the 10 would make it serve the required number but I feel like the 10 on the 14 looks weird??? I was thinking, if I did "tall tiers" how tall should they be and would this feed 100 people (approximate). I so don't want to disappoint!

7 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:24am
post #2 of 8

Will there be anything on top? That is an odd request, and no matter what you do it's going to look a bit squatty with a larger top tier. Doing taller tiers will help a bit, but the venue will still cut it like normal tiers and if they are too tall they don't fit on the dessert plate nicely. I wouldn't go taller than 5".

A 14" will serve 75 and a 10" will serve 35, so you'd have plenty of cake. You could get away with an 8", but that would look off. I tend to not go bigger than a 3" difference between the tiers, so a 5-8-11-14 and so on, but a 4" difference will look fine too.

If it were me, and she was dead set on having a two tiered cake I would have made a smaller cake and had a kitchen cake out back to make up for the servings.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:40am
post #3 of 8

Yes, it can be done but it totally depends on what will be on top of the cake. the topper needs to be proportional to the size of the cake.

Here's a pic I took of 2 tiers just to show this very scenario: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1297422

(and here's the whole cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1297425

theonlynameleft Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 8

No topper at all unfortunately, I am thinking I might just do a third tier to try and balance it - she will probably be happy with a third tier if I tell her it needs it - I hope! Thanks for your help guys icon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 8

Yeah... I'd just throw the third tier on. A 10" top tier will look off. You can do a 6" and it will balance it out.

Sometimes brides need to be told "what you want will not work". LOL

theonlynameleft Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 8

This cake is giving me a headache - I did the 14 inch bottom layer and it was only about three inches - too small, so I made another layer to add to the bottom now it is 5 and a half inches which I thought was OK-ish cos tiers were tending to be on the taller side these days. But holy moly - covered it with buttercream crumbcoat and it looks huuuuuge! Now put my 10 inch and 6 inch tins on top to get a feel for how it will look when all together and feel it looks ridiculously large so figure I will revert back to the two tier plan and make the second tier an 8 inch instead to try and keep it still balanced looking. I am worried - I am scared its gonig to be a huge monstrosity!!!! thumbsdown.gif

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 8

I am intrigued and want to ask: since there will be no topper, what are the decorations going to be? I think that has a lot to do with the look of the cake...

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 8

I just did a 14" and 8" round cake and it looked fine (although I was worried too) but I alway had a topper and flowers.Its in my album "60th Birthday". Im curious what decorations this cake has too. Could come flowers or something be added? just to help balance it if need be?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%