Pricing Advice Please!

Decorating By cupncake1 Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 12:46am by indydebi

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:31am
post #1 of 8

I just recently started making cakes for profit but I'm not sure what to charge and if maybe I'm overcharging for my ability, I got my first complaint today about the price- she wanted a round white cake with bannana filling (superhero) cake for 30 to 40 people (I figured a 12" round would do it) I quoted $70.00, long story short I ended up doing it for $40 -maybe I shoulden't have gone so low? Someone just be truthful with me, look at my pics and tell me if I am charging too much icon_confused.gif because I dont want to stop getting orders if people start saying I overcharge

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:31am
post #2 of 8

I don't know how detailed your cake was, but I think most would charge at least $3.00 per serving.

According to the Wilton chart for industry standard 8 cu. in. servings... one-layer servings = 2" x 2" x 2", or two-layer servings = 1" x 2" x 4"
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/ma.....h-pans.cfm

your 12" cake (if double layered) serves 56 and you charged less than $1.00 per serving. That's too low IMO... find your pricing structure and stick to it. Nobody should get nearly 1/2 knocked off of your quote simply by bitchin' about the price. You'll find customers that can afford you without the complaints about the price and if they go elsewhere you'll get over it without wasting time working practically for free.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:54am
post #3 of 8

Prices are alot dependant on where you live. For example your cake in question would go for 170.00 in major urban/coastal type locations, 100.00 in big cities and my area (middle of nowhere!) I'd ask 75.00.
One thing for certain is that no matter where you live, there is a certain contingent of people who will always try to haggle down your price. You must stay firm!
At my other job we always preach, "You teach others how to treat you" and unfortunately you taught this customer that they can name their price with you thumbsdown.gif Stand by your prices, if it scares some people away-you do not want them for customers anyways. Your work is clean and good quality so please charge accordingly!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:46am
post #4 of 8

Your work is very good. I wholeheartedly agree with CWR.

Sometimes it IS better to let them walk away .... and have a crappy cake instead.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 8:56am
post #5 of 8

OMGoodness Danielle.. no no no.. don't you dare sell yourself short like that again! Your cakes are great.. honestly!! Your Spiderman cake so vibrant and fun.. and most importantly beautiful clean art. You must remember that your work is art.. not 'just' a cake! I too are newish to business and are learning along the way.. but the one thing I have promised myself right from the start is to never be taken advantage of and exploited.. I refuse to be known as the 'cheap cake lady'. I made notes from many different posters on CC who have faced your dilemma.. and the responses from respected well known members who have A LOT of experience behind them was to ' Never ever sell yourself short'.. you do it once and you feel compelled to keep walking down that path. I agree with $3 per serve if you are uncertain icon_smile.gif

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much! It's very reassuring to hear that I'm not overcharging especially when I hear it from such experianced bakers icon_biggrin.gif I will definitely take all of your advice and if they dont want to pay the price then they can go elsewhere, can anyone recommend a good website that gives the servings per pan -the wilton one is not working, I went to a few other sites but noticed they dont give the servings for 9x13, half sheet and so on, thanks again

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 12:46am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielleissocool

I went to a few other sites but noticed they dont give the servings for 9x13, half sheet and so on, thanks again

Square and rectangles are easy ... just Do The Math! thumbs_up.gif

12x18: when cut in (one layer) 2x2" squares, the cake will be cut in 6 rows by 9 columns = 54 servings. If you cut them in 2x3" squares, the cake will be cut in 6 rows by 6 columns = 36 servings.

For 2-layer, servings are cut in 1x2x4" pieces, which means the cake will be cut in 12 rows by 9 columns = 108 servings.

When doing odd number pans, I round down to the nearest even number for easy math. So an 11x15, when cut in 2x2" would be cut in 5 rows by 7 columns = 35 servings.

Know what your standard serving size will be and just Do The Math! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%