Extra Large Round Tip

Decorating By kim1982 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 8:24pm by pmarks0

kim1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim1982 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:04am
post #1 of 7

Hi All,
i am new to the site and new to decorating. i enjoy making cupcakes and will be making airbender themed cupcakes for a friend's daughter's birthday party next weekend. 4 kinds of cupcakes representing the 4 elements.
for air, i want white icing using a large round tip.
i used 2A and it didn't give the effect i want.
i think i may get the effect i want from an ateco 809 tip, but i don't know if they are sold here in ontario canada. if they are, does anyone know where?
unfortunately i don't have time to wait for shipping from an online site.
also, my couplers have a slit so i unfortunately cant use the coupler without a tip. are there couplers available here without a slit in the side?
Thanks for all the help from the experienced bakers... all advice is greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

6 replies
m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:06am
post #2 of 7

If you have any disposable bags, you can just cut the bag to whatever size hole you want, without coupler or tip. I've done that, and it worked okay. I sort of rolled the bag in my fingers to ease the crease a bit. HTH!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:05am
post #3 of 7

Put a piece of tape over the slit and you have a round one. That is what I do when I run out of my really old ones without the slit. I don't know if you can get them without it anymore, those were my mom's from when she decorated cakes when I was a kid. HTH

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:43am
post #4 of 7

You didn't say where in Ontario you were, but you can try Flour Confections in Pickering. From what I saw online, the 809 tip is 11/16 diameter and the 10 piece set they have, linked below, includes that size.

http://www.flourconfections.ca/shop/off-piece-round-tube-set-sizes-532-1116-p-1241.html

kim1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim1982 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help guys icon_smile.gif
I am actually about 2.5 hours north of pickering, so i won't be able to make it there before i have to make the cupcakes that i am making.
does michaels or the bulk barn carry any of the larger size tips?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 7

They sell couplers without the slit:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25497&name=Standard%20Plastic%20Coupler%20by%20CK%20Products

I also heard that Duff Goldman's couplers don't have the slit.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1982

Thanks for the help guys icon_smile.gif
I am actually about 2.5 hours north of pickering, so i won't be able to make it there before i have to make the cupcakes that i am making.
does michaels or the bulk barn carry any of the larger size tips?

Flour Confections ships, so you could try that. Scott's pretty good about getting orders out quickly.

Both Bulk Barn and Michaels sell tips, but they're the Wilton tips, so you'd need to know what the equivalent tip number was to get the size you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%