Help With Fondant Covered Rkt Sculptures, Please.

Decorating By cutypatutie Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 7:10am by AnotherCreation

cutypatutie Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:03am
post #1 of 5

I have made several RKT fondant covered sculptures and cannot ditch the lumps. I made a Scooby recently, covered him in white choc first, then fondant and worked so,so, but today I tried a bowling pin, twice covered in white chocolate then fondant and once using store bought RKT bars and no white choc and they were all lumpy??? Any tips or tricks, ppllleaassee help me. I am so frustrated and looking for a better technique for next time. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Colliegirl Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:03am
post #2 of 5

I am not very familiar with this technique, I have only tried it once and am going to try the RKT for some sesame street characters. However, just wondering when I do fruit cakes I have to "pack" or "spack" them (as I like to say) to get rid of the lumps and bumps and am wondering if this is not the way to go with this problem you are having.

I shall try and make some of them tonight. I hope you have success, if not perhaps someone else has a thought on this matter.

Sorelle Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:32am
post #3 of 5

When I need a smooth surface I pack the rkt really tight then go back over then and using my thumbs I crush the outer layer of cereal it makes the outside layer much smaller pieces so they look smoother. It's late, so I hope that makes sense.

Glory0523 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:03am
post #4 of 5

When doing rkt figures, I try to pack the cereal tightly, use a rasp to smooth down the outside, cover in buttercream, then fondant, occasionally 2 layers if i feel like it needs it. i've also had good results using ganache instead of buttercream...hth

AnotherCreation Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:10am
post #5 of 5

I have found the easiest way to keep the "bumpies" away is one of two things. Most of the time I use a 50/50 mix of fondant and modeling chocolate. This allows me to put it on there a little thicker and b/c of the modeling chocolate it helps to smooth out any seams or what nots. The other thing I have done is to cover in modeling chocolate and then go back adding fondant pieces to create the look I want. i also mold the rkt on wax paper and rub it on the paper to help smooth it out. I don't know if that makes any sense. I'm not sure how to explain it. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%