Cake Challenges

Baking By Sunnie79 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 10:45am by Chellescakes

Sunnie79 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:19am
post #1 of 5

I am new to baking cakes. My husband and I are starting our own bake shop from our home, and we are having a challenge with our cake. We are baking a gluten free cake in a 6 in round at 325 for 30 mins and then center is dropping in. Also we buttered the sides and they are sticking. Any suggestions?

4 replies
pianocat Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:59am
post #2 of 5

Could be a problem with the temp-try an oven thermometer and see if the temp is correct. Also I find the best thing to use on pans is cake release and parchment paper. There is a recipe for a "cake release" here on cc. HTH

Colliegirl Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:06am
post #3 of 5

If you are buttering the sides, you also need to put flour over the butter, this acts as a release for the cake to come out easily enough.

Usually you put flour into the pan and swish it around and then tap out the excess. HTH

NanaSandy Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:24am
post #4 of 5

you can line your pans with parchment paper, and they will pop right out.

Chellescakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:45am
post #5 of 5

with gluten free I don't use any plain GF flour I just use the self raising , or a higher proportion than you usually do.

and yep baking paper ( I use glad bake , or the aldi brand ) and I never have a problem with tin release, I double line the tin with it and never have a cake stick .

Quote by @%username% on %date%