Using Cheesecake For Cake Layers

Decorating By skj0625 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 9:37pm by ras3

skj0625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skj0625 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:52am
post #1 of 7

I am about to start working on a cake for a friend's baby shower. She loves cheesecake. The cake will be an 8 or 9 inch bottom tier with a 6 inch top tier. I would like to make the top tier a cheesecake. I've seen this done before, where the cake layers are cheesecake with graham cracker crust and then stacked and iced just like regular cake. I've never done it though, and I am wondering if anyone has and if there are special things I need to know? Obviously, I know the cheesecake will need to be refrigerated up until a few hours before the shower. Thanks!

6 replies
SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:12am
post #2 of 7

This isn't exactly the same but it might be similar enough to help you

http://www.sweetwise.com/for-my-valentine.html

ras3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ras3 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:18am
post #3 of 7

I have never done it but cheesecake freezes well and I think it would be pretty easy to ice frozen.

What I have done before for a cheesecake lover, is fill the cake with an extra large layer of no bake cheesecake. I use Ms Martha's (Stewart) no bake cheesecake and whip it up like I was making the cake but instead of putting it in crust I fill my cakes w/it. Usually about 1 1/2" thick. It is ridiculous good with layers of dark chocolate cake.

skj0625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skj0625 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 7

I like the idea of the no bake filling. How well does it hold up at room temp? Does it need to be kept very cold?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:53am
post #5 of 7

I've made several wedding cheesecakes, but never iced them. The layers get stacked with pegs and a space between layers. Then I used flowers to decorate.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:14am
post #6 of 7

I've made a wedding cheesecake, I also iced the outside with no problems as long as the cheesecake was cold. Stack just the same as a regular cake, but you might want to make sure you bake your crust well and thick so you can pop easily out of your cake pan without breaking (I hate spring form pans, I use a regular cake pan lined with parchment) and get it onto a cake board.

Chill your cheesecake for 24 hours prior to decorating and do not cover it with anything in the fridge, it will build up condensation and make it gooey.

Cheesecake (like most cakes) are better served room temp and they are fine out of the fridge for about 6 hours.

ras3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ras3 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 7

The no bake filling holds up just like a no bake cheesecake, you wouldn't want to leave it out overnight but it's fine for four or five hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%