Minnie Mouse Cake Question

Decorating By aac91880 Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 1:10pm by Linda2010

aac91880 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:11am
post #1 of 4

I am making a minnie mouse cake and wanted to get some feedback on how to do the ears? I have a wilton soccer ball pan for the minnie head and am covering it in black fondant but I'm not sure how to make the minnie ears? Should I add tylose powder to the black fondant? Will that harden enough to stand up straight on the minnie head? Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

3 replies
Amylou Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:43am
post #2 of 4

Yes, if you're wanting the ears to stand up on the cake then I would add tylose to make it dry quickly. Make sure you do them a few days ahead of time to give them plenty of time to dry.

I did a flat MM cake, and when I cut the cakes for the ears I used the pan that I made for the face. It gives you the same curve you'll need for the ears to set. Same goes for the gumpaste ears, once you have them formed, cut the end off with the half of the soccer ball pan and it will be close to the curve you need. Also after they're formed and cut I would stick toothpicks (or whatever you're using for support into the cake) into each ear before they dry. Wet the toothpicks with water, stick into ears.

Good luck!

aac91880 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much Amy! I appreciate all of the advice!!

Linda2010 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 4

I have one cake to make in the shape of the silouete of Minnie and I was planning to make the ears out of RKT because I figure they will be lighter on the cake than the gumpaste.

I would appreciate any advise. Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%