3D Cakes- Servings?

Business By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 4:32am by LoveMeSomeCake615

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 7

Is it reasonable to have a minimum serving amount for 3D cakes? For example, I have someone asking about a tennis shoe shaped cake, so I worked up a quote for her and told her it would serve about 25. She asked if it could be made any smaller because she only wants it for her and her boyfriend. I told her we could possibly make it a little smaller, but it would only be a slight difference. The way we see it, in order to accommodate the design she wants, it has to be substantial enough, so trying to make it to serve even 10 would be way too small. And it probably would not really help with the cost, since she's paying more for the sculpting itself, and not so much per serving. Does that make sense?

6 replies
costumeczar Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:56am
post #2 of 7

I have a minimum of $175 for 3-D cakes, and that's about 20-25 servings. I'd think that you'd be better off doing a minimum that way, so that even if someone only wanted 5 servings you'd still have the $175 minimum to back yourself up. The 3-D cakes take so long, you have to set limits on it.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:11am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, we do have a minimum price of $120 for our shaped cakes, and she had a budget above that, but I guess when she saw how many it would serve she thought she might be able to pay less since she didn't need that much cake. It's good to know that your minimum cake serves 20-25, that's about as small as we have figured we could do a shaped cake too. Glad to know we're on the right track!

costumeczar Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:22am
post #4 of 7

Yeah, fewer servings than that would make a really dinky cake, so that's the smallest I go.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 7

That's what I thought too! Especially for a cake shaped like a shoe, I think anything smaller would be kind of ridiculous. icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:15am
post #6 of 7

I have a minimum of $150 and that has 30 servings. I've had people want a 3D motorcycle for 6 people. I just explain that is our minimum. Most of the time, the calls start with "I've been watching cake shows and I want a xxx (3D) cake of (whatever)". They usually expect to hear a price of $30.

I will always have a minimum size and price for 3D cakes. They are paying for your expertise and time spent, even to just design it, if it is for 5 or 105.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:32am
post #7 of 7

Exactly what we thought, tracycakes! Hopefully she is able to see it that way too. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%