Off-White Wedding Cake Buttercream Frosting Help

Decorating By jenniemar Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 9:14pm by jenniemar

jenniemar Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 10

As a total newbie to making wedding cakes (normally this wouldn't matter as much-I think, but it IS a wedding cake).

What is the best way to get "off-white" buttercream?

And, for another wedding cake, what is the best way to get a deep chocolate brown without it being chocolate frosting?

And last but probably not least (I will be back-that's a promise, not a threat)---
Where is the best place online to bulk/wholesale buy ( I have a tax ID #) cake boxes/cupcake liners/cake circles?

9 replies
mimido Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 10

If you used regular vanilla ( not clear ) in your buttercream it will make it off white. Also Wilton makes a gel color for off white. So far I haven't had to buy in bulk, so I cant help you there.

jenniemar Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 10

thank you- I have used both clear and regular. I guess I thought "off-white" meant "more off-white than that. But that works! And, I just hate paying double for anything that is non- perishable and can be stored/eventually used. So- I would rather buy in bulk.
icon_smile.gif

As for the brown frosting question- I have heard that the brown coloring tends to turn "greenish" So wanted suggestions for that.

tesso Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 10

air brush the cake to get a nice brown/ chocolate color.

there are lots of places for wholesale. just do a yahoo search, alot of website names are blocked on here.

mimido Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 10

The wilton off white coloring will make it a little more off white than the vanilla. I've never had the brown turn greenish, black will turn a greenish and sometimes a little purple.

jenniemar Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 10

thanks- I am just a wee bit stressed over the wedding cakes. Have stacked 3 layers and done topsy-turveys with no problems but this wedding thing!

4 layers. wow. pressure. But am one month out and am practicing them now just to make sure there are no curveballs thrown at me the day before or of. I don't need THAT added stress. lol

Y'all are very helpful here- again, thanks!

cownsj Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 10

Just make sure you do NOT buy the Wilton Ivory. The color is perfect when you mix it, but every single time, it will turns a racid looking rusty/orangish sort of color. It's done it 100% of the time, and it's done it to bc, fondant AND lightweight plaster.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 10

Americolour ivory is good, and using butter in your bc will give it a natural ivory/cream hue

jenniemar Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 10

So if I use butter and the natural vanilla- It should be enough to give it a nice off-white color?

And-Thanks for the Wilton heads-up-that would be VERY ugly! I will also try the Americolor. I use it already and like it WAY better than Wilton jars....much nicer in coloring capacity and cleaner usage.

jenniemar Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 10

So if I use butter and the natural vanilla- It should be enough to give it a nice off-white color? My BC recipe has butter in it so---that's just what I'll use.

And-Thanks for the Wilton heads-up-that would be VERY ugly! I will also try the Americolor. I use it already and like it WAY better than Wilton jars....much nicer in coloring capacity and cleaner usage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%