Topsy Turvy Tips!

Decorating By newcaker1314 Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 5:32am by LisaPeps

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:07pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesj

I would love to know what the term agbay means? there's so many video's on how to carve one. I'm just not sure how this woman can tell me that I'm going to have a hard time with it!

An Agbay is a professional cake leveler. It's worth it's weight in gold!!! You can cut straight through a cake OR you can lower one side for a slant cut. Just be VERY CAREFUL of the blades -- they are EXTREMELY sharp!

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:08pm
post #32 of 39

I'll throw my two cents and then some in here! icon_biggrin.gif I have tried three different ways to do topsy turvys. The best way that worked for me was following Sugarshack's method in her "Totally Topsy Turvy" video. I have Lindy Smith's video as well, but my cake just didn't work doing it her way. Another decorator taught me yet another way to do them and that didn't go well either. I suggest trying a few ways and seeing what works best for you.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:09pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesj

I would love to know what the term agbay means? there's so many video's on how to carve one. I'm just not sure how this woman can tell me that I'm going to have a hard time with it!

Agbay is a cake cutter...used to level and torte your cakes.

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:37pm
post #34 of 39

ahhhhh I seeicon_smile.gif I have a regular cake cutter and it doesn't work that well. I'm just going to do it the old fashion way and carve. wish me luckicon_smile.gif Sooooo, any suggestions on the 5"cake?

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:40pm
post #35 of 39

An abgay is a kick but piece of equipment used to level and torte cakes. If you google it you will find a video.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:57pm
post #36 of 39

I'm trying my first topsy turvy for this weekend, too! Can someone point out or link to the recipe for the box cake mix alteration to make the cake dense enough to support the TT design??

Thanks!

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:58pm
post #37 of 39

I'm trying my first topsy turvy for this weekend, too! Can someone point out or link to the recipe for the box cake mix alteration to make the cake dense enough to support the TT design??

Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:00pm
post #38 of 39
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:32am
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

use a very sturdy cake, and cut your inset holes after you apply the fondant.

I'm making my first one this week. In most of the videos and tutorials I have seen they always apply the fondant after cutting the inset holes. Can you explain why it is better to cut the inset holes after you apply the fondant please?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%