Need Tips On How To Best Take Photos Of My Cakes/cupcakes

Decorating By Caker16 Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm by calivettie

Caker16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caker16 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to set up a website with photos of my work, but the photos never come out as well as I would like. Does anyone have any tips for how to take the best photos of cakes/cupcakes?

3 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 4

One thing to do is make sure you have a "clean" background. You can buy a pro light box set-up or there are DIY instructions for making your own.

If you don't want to get that elaborate, create a backdrop and find the place in your home/shop with the best overall lighting. I use a cardboard tri-fold "science fair" thing that I got at the craft store. I set that up on my dinner table & drape it with a white bed sheet. If I need to elevate the cake, I can put a box or cake stand under the sheet so it is hidden.

Try taking several pics from different angles with and without the flash. If you can adjust the exposure on your camera, try different settings on that. My little point/shoot has a "food" setting.

HTH
Kristy

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 4

There's actually a tutorial on photographing cakes and cupcakes that I found rather helpful in the very first issue of Cake Central Magazine.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 4

There are plenty of tutorials on the internet... even on youtube...

However, its true make sure your background is "clear" or does not distract from your cake.

Personally I take my pictures out doors as I think natural lighting is the best for cakes/food.

Make sure you take different angles and try to capture the cake/cupcake as the ENTIRE picture... That way you don't have to crop the picture later....

I also like to use the "macro" setting on a camera... its usually a little flower and is meant for close ups.

Good luck and have fun!

-yvette

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%