Need Help Thinking This Through. . .

Decorating By Walls1971 Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm by Walls1971

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making the alien from the Toy Story movie, but only the head. I'm THINKING that I could bake ovals in varying sizes and stand them on their long end (so the cake is standing vertically, not horizonally - know what I mean?) and then carve them down slightly to form the enlongated oval shape of the head. My concern is whether or not the layers would remain standing over the long term. I am going to cover it in fondant. I feel confident that when chilled, it will stand (I use a meringue buttercream icing so it is solid when cold), but over delivery and standing out for the party. . . I'm not so sure. Also, how would you think it should doweled? I could dowel it through the center, but the outer layers wouldn't be secured (although, the fondant would be there for support).

What do you all think? Does anyone have a better idea? The cake needs to serve about 30 people, so a football pan is out of the question. Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 4

I think it's going to split and fall. The layers need to be horizontal, then carve.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 4

I would have to agree with leah_s. Vertical layers would definitely split apart and fall, and cutting/serving would be a pain since the layers would be a different orientation than people are used to. Could you use an oval pan, 2" cakes, and maybe stack like 6 of them? Fill them, and then freeze them, and then carve out the shape before dirty icing?

Be sure to post a picture, because I just LOVE the little alien guys. My favorite!

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, guys! I was trying to avoid having to carve too much - not my strong suit. But I have the oval pans in varing sizes, so I can use that to my advantage stacking horizonal, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%