Recipe Suggestions For A 14X14X4 In Cake

Baking By 20_Sadie_11 Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm by miss_sweetstory

20_Sadie_11 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a wedding shower cake....first big cake i've ever attempted...It is going to be a 14x14x4 in square with a smaller square on the top corner. I have a wonderful pastry and baking cook book, and a lot of the wedding cake recipes they use is a chiffon sponge cake. I would like to do this cake because i think it would taste great with what I am planning. However, the recipe for this cake makes 8 round cakes. What i'm wondering is if that would be enough or too much batter for my cake. Also, everything is in weights.....3lbs of egg yolks and 3lbs of egg that a lot??? this morning i weighed an egg white and it was one i really going to need 48 egg whites??? that seems a bit much don't you think? I don't know. I'm a bit confused as to where I should start with the cake. I really appreciate all responses that will help with this project i have undertaken! Thank you!

P.S.....The wedding shower is February 26, 2011.....

2 replies
jewels710 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 3

Ok, so I have been looking through my charts, and not that this is exactly what you need but it might be somewhere to start if no one else chimes in.

My list says for two inch height:
a 11x15 (165 sq inches) requires 11 cups of batter
a 12x18 (216 sq inches) requires 13 & 3/4 cups of batter
Your 14x14 is (196 sq inches) which is somewhere in between so guestimate approx 12 to 12-1/2 cups of batter, but this is for two inches and you need four so double it to be about 25 cups of batter needed to bake a 14x14x4 cake (two 14x14x2 cakes stacked).
This does not include what you will need for the smaller cake you say you will put on the top which you didn't indicate the size, so I'm not sure there.

Hope it helps a lil.

Edited to add: Now I just found another chart that says a 14" square (1 layer) takes 14 cups of batter. That would make 28 cups total for two layers... I would prob estimate on the high end to be safe if it were me.

miss_sweetstory Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 3

Your recipe says "8 round cakes?" What is the size of the pan? Does the recipe say how much batter it yields?

For a 14" square each 2" layer would require 13 1/2 to 14 cups of batter

Quote by @%username% on %date%