Baking Spray, Crisco, Vegetable Oil...what Works Best?

Baking By MelissaMay Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 6:07am by MelissaMay

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 19

Ok, So I always use a baking spray for my cakes, I just read that they can make the cake have a dark hard crust! Well what are people using out there? crsico and four, just crisco, non-aerosolized veg oil?

I'm looking to see what the best options are? I hate that dark crust on my cakes, now I know why...but...what do I use instead?
Thanks a bunch!

18 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 19

By far the BEST thing I've found so far is homemade pan grease, mix equal parts of all-purpose flour, crisco, and vegetable oil. Mix it up with your mixer or a whisk until nice and smooth and creamy. I put it into squirt bottles and keep it in the cupboard (I go through a ton of it quickly) and squirt it into the pan and use a pastry brush to spread it out. I have NEVER had ANYTHING stick with this stuff!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 19

My first choice is Country Kitchen brand Pan Grease, and if I'm out of that I use plain 'ole crisco (which is what I used for decades). I never flour my pans. I never use spray anything because it fries the outside of my cakes and makes them crispy.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 19

I use the homemade pan grease also. Equal parts of veg oil, shortening, and flour. I mix it up anywhere form 1/4 cup of each to 2 cups of each depending on what my next month or two of baking holds. I also use it for greasinga ll of my pans /sheets when i'm cooking too (i have a home based business where i work out of my family kitchen)

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 19

I use shortening, and then I spray it with spray oil. My cakes don't brown, and they pop out no problem.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 19

I love the Wilton pan prep that you squeeze out of a bottle and wipe around the pan.

A bottle of it seems to go a very long way and I really love the texture of the sides of the cake.

I'm sure it's the same stuff I could make myself, but with a coupon from Michael's, it's a good deal.

Rae

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:20am
post #7 of 19

I line the bottoms with parchment and don't do anything to the sides of the pan. Run a knife around the sides and they turn right out.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:56am
post #8 of 19

I will give another vote to the Bakers Grease (the equal parts flour, crisco and veggie oil or canola oil in my case)

Just remember to shake or mix it up before using as it can/will seperate

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:08am
post #9 of 19

Ditto on the lining the bottom with parchment, or wax paper (which is cheaper).

The sprays contain lecithin (sp?) which causes the crispy crust (which I learned from Alton when he was making waffles and said that was the secret to crispy waffles).

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:57am
post #10 of 19

In my mind flour and grease just makes mud on my cake, ewe!

I use butter flavored cooking spray on the sides only. The bottom has parchment. Whatever butters pray is on sale, I'm not loyal to any one brand. Original is yucky. But any brand butter spray that is on sale is my favorite!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:36am
post #11 of 19

Parchment and homemade release. I have used the spray before I started using the homemade, but I used very little and spread it with a brush. Straight from the can seemed like too much at one time.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

To each his/her own.

For me, artificial butter flavored spray is the ewe!
I've tried it and in my mind, the crisped, buttery edges tasted like stale popcorn from a movie theater.
I had to cut away so much cake in order to get the gack off of it that it was hardly worth baking.

Rae

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 19

I use Baker's Joy.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm
post #14 of 19

I use Baker's Joy spray.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 12:05am
post #15 of 19

Bakers Joy is my first choice.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 19

The baking spray with flour. I haven't had any crispy cake crusts so I can't speak to that issue mentioned above. Maybe the brand I'm using? (Haha, sadly I don't know which one, I just know when I see it. Heaven forbid they ever change the container).

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

To each his/her own.

For me, artificial butter flavored spray is the ewe!
I've tried it and in my mind, the crisped, buttery edges tasted like stale popcorn from a movie theater.
I had to cut away so much cake in order to get the gack off of it that it was hardly worth baking.

Rae

The crispy edges are what I like. I don't see the difference in using this and the Baker's joy everyone is talking about. I like addition of the buttery flavor. It doesn't taste stale to me. I actually don't taste the butter at all after it's baked. Just the cake.

This again goes to show, you ask questions like this and you will get many many different answers. None are wrong or right. It's what ever you and, more importantly, your customer's like.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 19

Absolutely!

Yes, if you want crispy edges, then the canned aerosol spays--plain, butter flavored, or combined with flour (Baker's Joy)--will give you that.

But, if that isn't what you want--and I don't--shortening dusted with flour, homemade pan grease (recipe is in one of the above posts), or the Wilton squeeze-on pan prep will prevent crispy edges.

My personal preference, as well as that of those who eat my cakes, is a consistent texture from edge to center.

Rae

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:07am
post #19 of 19

Thank you all so much. I am trying to move away from the crispy sided cake, so my next move is homemade release or plain ol crisco! Thank you all for you help! It is much appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%