Help Me Think This Through, Please

Decorating By Walls1971 Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm by Caths_Cakes

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making the alien from the Toy Story movie, but only the head. I'm THINKING that I could bake ovals in varying sizes and stand them on their long end (so the cake is standing vertically, not horizonally - know what I mean?) and then carve them down slightly to form the enlongated oval shape of the head. My concern is whether or not the layers would remain standing over the long term. I am going to cover it in fondant. I feel confident that when chilled, it will stand (I use a meringue buttercream icing so it is solid when cold), but over delivery and standing out for the party. . . I'm not so sure. Also, how would you think it should doweled? I could dowel it through the center, but the outer layers wouldn't be secured (although, the fondant would be there for support).

What do you all think? Does anyone have a better idea? The cake needs to serve about 30 people, so a football pan is out of the question. Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 4

I think you are asking for trouble standing the cakes on end. I would bake round cakes of varying sizes (or ovals), fill and stack them and then carve away. Then you don't have to worry about them falling apart.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with Kristy.... Make as many round cakes as you need for the height and carve it then.

Rarely have I seen cakes stacked vertically, and when I have, they've fallen eventually. Also, think about how it's going to be cut. People cut cakes vertically. If you stack them vertically, they'll have to cut horizontally and that's awkward!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 4

i agree with the two above, do it from rounds and carve it down that way. might give you a little more work in the beginning ,but will save you sooo much hassel in the end!! no body wants a fallen cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%