Tooth Cake??? Help! I've Never Carved Before!!

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 11:09pm by ddaigle

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:26am
post #1 of 3

Ok, I've done plenty of square and round cakes covered with fondant, but I've never had to try carve a cake.
I just had a request for a TOOTH cake. I had a quick search for pictures but I don't know where I would start?? Is there a cake pan that I could use as a base? Its such a rare request, I wouldn't expect to be able to find many tools that can help me out here.

2 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 3

Will the cake be lying flat or are you talking standing straight up? If it's standing upright, I have no idea because when I think tooth I think top heavy on thin 'roots'. If it's flat and just looks like a tooth when you're looking down on it, start with all of your cakes stacked and then slowly start to carve away. It's best if you print a picture of what you're going for first so that you have a point of reference and also, cutting them after they've been chilled will give you a lot less crumb mess and an easier time. Rounded edges are hard (for me anyway), but the only way to carve a cake the first time is to settle down and give it a go. Just start slowly and get the basic shape you want and then work from there. Good Luck!!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 3

I always start carving on a split, filled and crumb coated cake. I take a toothpick or a skewer and draw my outline, or sometimes enlarge the picture and literally trace. If you need to fix, just smooth that area and start over. A tooth cake is a great one to start with. I have one in my gallery. After I carve, I crumb that raw cut area, and chill before final icing. I small serrated knife (for me) is the best. I bought a 4 pack of cheapo "steak" knives from the dollar tree and it is my favorite carving knife. Have fun!

Oh..btw..when you start carving..you'll never use a pan again! I threw all mine out! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%