3D Lego Man Cake Construction

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 4:07pm by sweet_2th_fairy

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:31am
post #1 of 11

I would like to attempt to make a 3D Lego man cake. I was planning on constructing the body out of cake with supporting dowels and then making the arms out of RKT and covering everything in fondant. I saw this picture posted by "dazeyjo" and loved it! Any ideas on how to attach the arms to the rest of the body? Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly welcomed. icon_smile.gif

dazeyjo's photo: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1703411

(sorry, couldn't figure out how to post the link)

10 replies
Anne1017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne1017 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:17am
post #2 of 11

If you read the photo description it has the address for her blog. I looked it up and she has very kindly explained it there.HTHhttp://dazeycakes.blogspot.com/

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, thank you. I had already read her instructions, but she doesn't mention how she attaches the arms. icon_cry.gif

auntiewho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiewho Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 11

i have made the lego men but on a smaller size than the picture u posted, mine were rkt and i used dowel rods thru the men and some melted chocolate to hold them u could use two 1 inch dowels screwed to the board and a rectangle board on top the two dowels like a table and construct the man around this frame..similiar to what i used in my stand up sponge bob cake i don't know if this helps..that cake u posted is great good luck with yours!!!

auntiewho Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 11

well sorry i should have read her instructions before my last post but her picture of the stand is exactly what i used in my sponge bob cake but only one level..good luck

Anne1017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne1017 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 11

sweet 2th fairy, you are totally right she didn't explain the arms at all, sorry about that I missed it the first time around. I examined the pictures and re-read the instructions and here is what I would try. Make the arms as far in advance as you can, at least 4 days or so, but don't cover with fondant until the RCT is hard and dryed out. While the RCT is still soft but slightly firm press a 1/2" dowel (you may need to adjust size of dowel in relation to the size of your cake, I'm just going off of the size in the picture) about half way into it from the inside so that there is a hole. Then cover with fondant a couple of days before so that can dry (but i'm not totally sure of that either if handling will make the fondant crack I would have to experiment with that one). Make the body and basic structure, ice and cover in fondant. Then measure the width of the shoulders be sure to include the depth of the holes in the arms, and cut the 1/2" dowel to size. Slide the dowel in so that it is resting on that top support plate, slightly in front or in back of the center dowel. Then using very thick royal icing or gum glue fill the arm holes and spread down the inside of the arm so that when you press it onto the dowel it will attach to the outside of the body as well as at the shoulder. Repeat with the other side. Remember this is all my best guess at what I would do since I have not attempted this configuration before so it may not work at all. Sometimes it's all about experimentation lol and doing it wrong so that you know how to do it right. That's how it works for me anyway. HTH

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 11

my best guess would be that the arms are rkt doweled into the body at several points. i need to hop on that link and find out how those hands were made. this is *exactly* the kind of cake i've been wanting to make since my wife and i decided to slowly work a bakery into our shop. as for me, i have an extensive star wars lego collection and stormtroopers being my favourites. awesome awesome awesome! (for the record, star wars legos are a better investment than most stocks! no kidding. so tell your kids to save those boxes and instructions and don't lose any pieces! lol.)

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you all for your input and ideas.
Anne1017 - I appreciate your suggestion about the construction. You've given me some really good ideas. icon_smile.gif
lynn1968 - Yes, actually it is a Lego Storm Trooper that I will be making. I can't believe how popular they are!
auntiewho - How did you attach your arms?

auntiewho Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 11

the arms on my lego men where doweled right thru the whole mans chest but where smaller than the cake u r looking at and they were only fondant....sponge bobs where thru the cake at the shoulders and used chocolate melts to secure to sides of the body..the chocolate hardens faster than ri and it is strong...

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 11

I have never tried the lego man, but it looks really fun. I would be tempted to make a skeleton out of PVC, then there would be a socket for the arms to attach to. However that would make the cake cost more, but you could be sure the arms wouldn't fall off. Just my 2 cents.
Jenna

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you both for your additional input. This is my first time constructing something like this and I do agree...the arms may be quite heavy and some type of inner structure is needed. I think I will try to make a skeleton PVC with the arms included. I've never done this before...any tips? Does anyone have a picture of a "person/figure" skeleton PVC that I can model it after? TIA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%