Making 6" Cookies

Baking By Staci71 Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm by Staci71

Staci71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staci71 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 9

I would like to make some 6 inch or so cookies for my sons travel basketball league. I wanted to decorate then to look like baksetballs and then put each boys name on one, There are like 7 boys on the team.

So how do you suggest I go about this? Do I need a certain pan? a specific cutter? For example I have my 6 " wilton cake pan.. will that work? If so how much cookie dough do I use?

I am new to all this but thought it would be a fun treat for my son and his teamates... Thanks for all your help!

Staci

8 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:52am
post #2 of 9

I would probably either use a 6"cutter or hand cut around a 6" template. Place on cookie sheet and bake at lower heat, longer time.

Roll your sugar cookie dough out evenly (you can use roller rings, Dobord, wooden sticks, etc) before cutting.

Sounds like a fun project- big cookies!

Staci71 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 9

I am sorry I wasn't super clear. I wanted to use chocolate chip cookie dough

and I tried it in my little 6" pan last night and it was llike a cake... lol I used a cup of dough. the next one I made was a big thinner I used a half a cup.. I just don't have a clue here HA

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 9

for non sugar cookies i bake in my cake pans. I usually put enough dough in to be about the same height as a chocolate chip (it will rise a little as it bakes) And cook until it's done at the same temperature that the recipe calls for.

I also suggest lining your pan with parchment paper or wax paper so it's easier to get the cookie out and you odn't have to worry about it sticking to the pan.

Staci71 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 9

I will try that out.. Thanks I may end up just making one big 12 inch cookie or something for tomorrow and practice on the smaller ones for another time.

That isnt much dough if its only supposed to be as think as a choc chip..

thanks for the help

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 9

You could make the cookies in a sheet pan lined with parchment, and then when cool, cut with 5 or 6 inch round cutters.....

Staci71 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 9

I had thought about that, but once again my problem is I am not sure how much cookie dough to use. I don't want to end up with cake like cookies.

I made 2 batches of cookies last night the first ones were very cake like used 1c of dough for 6" pan the second one I used 1/2 c dough for 6 inch pan, they turned out better but i had a hard time getting the dough even in the pan edges were thicker than middle. The dough recipe I have used is great but quite tacky/sticky.. also not sure how long to ccok them.

Since this is something I want to do for tomorrow, I just may decorate a 12" cookie for the whole team and try to get this figured out at a later date for future use.

If any one has any specifics about amount of dough, cooking time etc I would really appreciate it.

Staci

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staci71

I had thought about that, but once again my problem is I am not sure how much cookie dough to use. I don't want to end up with cake like cookies.

I made 2 batches of cookies last night the first ones were very cake like used 1c of dough for 6" pan the second one I used 1/2 c dough for 6 inch pan, they turned out better but i had a hard time getting the dough even in the pan edges were thicker than middle. The dough recipe I have used is great but quite tacky/sticky.. also not sure how long to ccok them.

Since this is something I want to do for tomorrow, I just may decorate a 12" cookie for the whole team and try to get this figured out at a later date for future use.

If any one has any specifics about amount of dough, cooking time etc I would really appreciate it.

Staci

I use one batch of Toll House recipe to make one 12" cookie (in a 12" cake pan) and it makes a nice, maybe 1/2" thick cookie.

Staci71 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 9

Thats what I thought with the recipe i have for a 12 cookie.. didn't work lol

This really yummy recipe i have is for a 12" cookie. It was just the right thickness and was so good.. Not to dry not to moist.. delicious! I cooked it at 325 for 23 minutes..

It had vanilla pudding mix in the dough.. yum

So please add any thoughts for when i start practicing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%