Square Dummy Cake...fondant Tearing!

Decorating By Normita Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 10:19am by Caths_Cakes

Normita Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:14am
post #1 of 7

I am having so much problems with a square dummy cake!! I have already tried sanding the sides, but it just keeps tearing and looking horrible. What can I do to make the fondant easier to apply without tearing on the top corners?

6 replies
DianeLM Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 7

Do you elevate your cake and let the fondant hang past the cake board? If so, don't do that. icon_smile.gif Let the excess fondant hit the work surface so there's less pull on the edges.

Did you sand the corners as well as the top edges? I like to use a piece of hard, sparkly styrofoam - ya know, like the kind used to make balls and rings and whatnot. Really does a great job of eliminating the sharp edges.

If neither of the above applies, try rolling your fondant a little thicker.

Good luck!

Normita Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:02am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Do you elevate your cake and let the fondant hang past the cake board? If so, don't do that. icon_smile.gif Let the excess fondant hit the work surface so there's less pull on the edges.

Did you sand the corners as well as the top edges? I like to use a piece of hard, sparkly styrofoam - ya know, like the kind used to make balls and rings and whatnot. Really does a great job of eliminating the sharp edges.

If neither of the above applies, try rolling your fondant a little thicker.

Good luck!

Thanks Diane....No I dont elevate the cake I let the excess fondant hit the surface. I did sand the top corners as well....I'm going to try to use the white sparkly styrofoam. If not, thicker fondant it is =)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

amygortoncakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:35am
post #4 of 7

I would love an update on how your cake turned out. I just bought square cake dummies for a cake show coming up in March and haven't yet applied the fondant.

Thanks

cakegirl1973 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:41am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

I would love an update on how your cake turned out. I just bought square cake dummies for a cake show coming up in March and haven't yet applied the fondant.

Thanks

I've done several dummy cakes (round & square). The key is to shave off the edges (I use a razor blade) and sand them evenly. There are several good videos on youtube if you need more guidance. Good luck!

Normita Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:18am
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am going to try again on the square cake using your guys's suggestions...and hopefully it comes out ok. icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:19am
post #7 of 7

you may want to try rolling your fondant a little thicker than you normally would when your covering just cake x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%