Sugar Diamonds

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 4:16pm by luckylibra

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #1 of 7

How do you use sugar diamonds? One site recommends using a varnish, next don't touch with your hands, others state not intended for wedding cakes - only apply at last minute, the other said they had the diamonds in icing for weeks without an issue. So if you order isomalt diamonds, how can one use them on a wedding cake or can you?

6 replies
jenscreativity Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:25am
post #2 of 7

hmmm,,..good question,,I'm curious too!

luckylibra Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:33am
post #3 of 7

I ordered some diamonds just this week from Global Sugar Art and they were beautiful. I just put them on the top of a cake with a dab of piping gel and I used my cake tweezers to pick them up.. it is my sex in the city cake I just finished but I can not see why you could not use them in anything. I ate one just to see what they were like, just sugar.. HTH

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:58am
post #4 of 7

I don't know much about them other than what I have seen on TV Cake Shows, but don't touch them bare handed they lose their shine. I guess the warning not to use them could stem from the size issue. I would be careful to remove them prior to serving if they pose a choking hazard if they may be easily ingested. luckylibra, are they hard like jaw breakers or do they "give/crack" easily if bitten? Always wondered.....

luckylibra Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:21am
post #5 of 7

They were hard like rock candy. I am just a hobby newbie but thought they looked fun... my pictures don't show them too well but they are beautiful, catch the light and everything. No real taste.. just sugary...I felt wasteful to try one but what the heck. I love seeing everyone's creations and tips I can not come close to what you all do but it sure is fun trying..icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:43am
post #6 of 7

went to look at the site and the edible/size was not listed as the issue but the fact they are influenced by the humidity. You have to place them on at the last minute and use a laquer to keep them shiney. I can see not touching them, I would not want to grab a hand full of sugar and put on a cake for someone to eat anyway.

luckylibra, how long did you have yours on the cake? did you experience any problems like melting or cloudiness?

Thank you

luckylibra Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 7

I put the diamonds on shortly before 9pm last night and the pictures I added of the diamonds
were taken today at 11am, my friend is coming to get the cake at noon.
I attached them with just a dab of piping gel so I don't know if placing them in frosting would be different. I suppose you could put piping gel in the spot you want them first then add them so they are resting on the piping gel.. Hopefully one of the experts can chime in, this was my first time using them and like I said, I am a hobby-newbie.. icon_smile.gif Good luck with it, can't wait to see pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%