Help! Raw Cake! Can I Put Caramel Mud Cake Back In The Oven?

Baking By Sweet_Toof Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm by zespri

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 4

I baked a 11" square caramel mud cake last night. I went to bed, I got up, I wanted to put it in the freezer.
I cut the top off and noticed the inside could have done with another 10-15 minutes extra baking.
Can I dry it out in the oven a bit more? I don't know what to do. Please don't tell me I have to bake a new one icon_sad.gif

3 replies
zespri Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:40am
post #2 of 4

I would say it's too late, and you have to bake a new one, sorry icon_sad.gif It's a big cake to waste. Unless you chop the middle out of it, and decorate it so it looks like it's deliberate?

Or chop it out, then bake another cake to fit in the hole like a checker cake, and join them with caramel. It'll just be like a vertical layer.

Of course these suggestions don't take into account what the cake is for. If it's for a family party, then you could try them. If it's to sell, then bake a new one.

With the bit you chopped out, you could try microwaving it until it's warm, and serve it with ice-cream.

In my experience caramel mud cakes do take a long time. And the top almost seems like it's burning when the inside isn't done yet. Didn't you put a skewer in to test it? When I bake mine I have to put a bit of foil over the top towards the end to stop the top of the cake from burning while it finishes cooking. Not sure why it's with this type of cake in particular.

Sweet_Toof Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 4

So annoying, Its actually my white chocolate recipe, and I just added caramel flavouring.
I also had the same problem with the white.
I hate the thought of overcooking a cake, its nearly worse. I did test it with the skewer, I stabbed it everywhere and it seemed ok! Next time I will have to just keep testing the center - I must have tested 1 area of the center and it was ok, then tested areas around the center.
I thought baking was meant to be the easy part icon_sad.gif I will definitely try covering with foil in the last 15 minutes of baking - I have covered with foil throughout the whole baking process but it just took SOOOOO long so I never did it again.

zespri Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 4

if it's baking too much on the outside, you might have to try baking strips, or making your own out of old towels. Or try a greased flower nail in the middle to attract the heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%