Help! How Do You Decide How Much To Charge?

Decorating By LilaUK Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 7:46pm by LilaUK

LilaUK Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 5

I've been doing cakes for a while but mostly for my own kids and friends but have never charged anyone. Now, someone has asked me to make them a 3d firetruck. But I have no idea how to charge for this. Its fondant, quite detailed and a sheet pan size.

I use the doctored cake mix recipes on cake central and sometimes canned frosting and sometimes I make my own, depending on my time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 replies
LilaUK Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:04am
post #3 of 5

Thank you! So I guess $50 is out fo the question? icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 5
Originally Posted by LilaUK

Thank you! So I guess $50 is out fo the question? icon_wink.gif

Oh good! You're a quick learner! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Listen, all of us hate learning this pricing stuff when we first start out, so you're in with a lot of good company! icon_wink.gif

LilaUK Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the help! I couldn't have done half the things without people here. Its scary just how much it actually costs to make these cakes and the per hour wage is pretty low if we undercharge. It just isn't worth doing it.

I work as a makeup artist and when people tell me "oh but its only a little bit of makeup, how much could that cost" I often break it down for them and say "well you can bring me your makeup and I'll charge you $100 per hour for my services". I guess the same applies to cakes. Sadly I'm in 2 fields that require people to value your time and expertise and it doesn't happen very often. icon_smile.gif

Thank you again, I hope to be as good as you one day icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%