Printers Are No Longer Available

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm by icingimages

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 18

I've been looking at the available printers and comparing them to your list of printer models for which you sell the ink. Many are being discontinued or are no longer available. The two you recommend the IP3600 and the MX560 are virtually impossible to find now and I've seen noticed that the MX560 has been discontinued.

You have the IP4700. I can only find the IP4820.
You have MX860, I can get MX870.
You have IP2000, I can only see IP2700

I realize you have to test the printers etc. but do you know if printers in the same series (ie.MX800 series) are just updated models that use the same ink cartridges?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Pam

17 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 18

My canon ip3600 just $hit the bed this past weekend and just 2 days ago I went online and bought another one. Very easy to find actually. I googled the model number under the shopping tab and got hundreds of results. HTH

pmarks0 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 18

They aren't that readily available here in Canada and when they are found, they are insanely priced. It's not an expensive printer. However, I wanted to get the MP560 which has been discontinued because it's an all-in-one. That's why the MX870 was so appealing.

However, I did do some looking after posting the question and found out that a local cake supplier carries the edible inks from Kopykake (sorry II) and their ink cartridges work in a number of printers including the ones I was asking about.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 18

The newer models of cartrdiges carry different chips which are not out on the market as of yet. We usually get them first. When this happens, companies who do not get the new series will have you remove the chips from regular ink cartridges and replace them on their cartridges. This ends up not only being reliable but costing you double the money because you have to buy regular cartridges and edible cartridges. I am unsure if my competitors started doing this, but normally they do. The current series of printers is still available. You just have to look harder, but normally you can get great deals on them. Before using ink, however, I would suggest you read about the different inks and the successes with them.

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 18

I just bought a brand new ip3600 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DJ9PY4/?tag=cakecentral-20

Jess0214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess0214 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 18

that's great that's the printer I use and I love it. It's quick and easy to use. There are alot of good edible inks and sheets available on the market, but I personally use PhotoFrost and find them very good. I'm sure you will be happy with the ip3600 good luck

icingimages Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 18

When you look fcor ink I wOuld strongly suggest the sponge free cartridges as they are the only cartridges that are food safe and made for edible printing. The sponged cartridges are actually originally made to harbor regular inks.

icingimages Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:12am
post #8 of 18

When you look fcor ink I wOuld strongly suggest the sponge free cartridges as they are the only cartridges that are food safe and made for edible printing. The sponged cartridges are actually originally made to harbor regular inks.

Jess0214 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 18

I have been working with the sponged cartridges and feel as they are they best since that is the way inkjets were made to work. They need the correct back pressure to get the best quality flow. Do you find this not to be true?

icingimages Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 18

Actually, in my almost 12 years of working with edibles....both sponged and non sponged, these have by far been the best I have worked with. We use to have to stock printheads for our customers, but in the last two or so years since we have been selling this type of cartridges with our gold label ink, we have stopped having the need to stock printheads. It is pretty amazing.

Jess0214 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 18

ok well with this being said I will do some tests, but I still like the products if they are made in the US especially if they are edible products. But I will try some tests and let you know how i make out

icingimages Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 18

Actually, our inks are made in the US, are Kosher and have undergone FDA inspection. So you will be fine!

Jess0214 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 18

Great that's good to know, how about your icing sheets same FDA,Kosher and US made?

icingimages Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 18

Actually some of our icing sheets are actually made in Isreal others in the US! The ones made in Isreal are certfied by one of the highest respected Rabbi's in the world. This was according to one of my orthodox customers who actually personally spoke with the Rabbi in Isreal. They have been inspected by the FDA and passed with flying colors. But interestingly enough, Isreals food standards are much higher than ours in the US. There is more retsriction on cleanliness as well as items the ingredients in their products.

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:19pm
post #15 of 18

I was having the same issues finding them in Canada for a decent price. Purchased an MP560 from thesource.ca last week - 49.99. Check them out if you haven't found one yet.

I didn't realize shipping would be so much for ink so will have to go with someone in Canada.

pmarks0 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:31pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks for posting about the Source. I'm the OP. Just checked it out and bought one too!! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

And for inks, check out Golda's in Mississauga. They carry inks. However I would do the math because there is a price difference of $22-$35 difference for the 5 cartridge set when you buy them from the two vendors in the US, Icing Images being one of them. With the dollar as it has been, it may be the same or a bit better to ship from the US, especially if you need to ship from Mississauga.

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 18

So glad you got one!! I looked everywhere then was shocked when I found it...had to do a double take!! haha

Good point. I did notice the inks are priced higher so I guess it will all even out in the long run!
Good luck with yours icon_smile.gif

icingimages Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks Pmarks for pointing that out. What I like to recommend is that you order enough supplies for a longer period of time. When you pay shipping, there is a base rate that you will have to pay no matter what you are shipping. Then the price is increased only a little bit per pound. So I would recommend you order two sets of cartridges, one set a refills and a good mixture of paper to go with it. This way it spreads the cost of shipping out over several items and reduces your overall price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%