So You Say My Cake Just...fell Over??

Decorating By JohnnyCakes1966 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 3:03am by tokazodo

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:25am
post #31 of 38

How does that saying go? "You catch more bees with honey than vinegar" ...something like that. If she'd been nicer and honest from the beginning of the whole mess instead of lying and accusing there just may have been a magic spatula somewhere up your sleeve. But you've gotta love karma in a case like this!

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:20am
post #32 of 38

I assume she thought I'd be more likely to provide another cake if I thought it was my fault that the first one "fell." And to be fair to her, she didn't demand a refund until I challenged her and said it wasn't my fault....that the cake had been moved. At first, she just said that I had to get another cake to them within the next 4 hours. But when she knew I was on to her, she really went off. I guess she thought if she yelled and made demands, I'd be intimidated.

And yes, had she been honest with me, I would have done something to help them. I had cakes in the freezer, could have whipped up some buttercream and at least had a pretty cake for the B&G to cut. But I was done with her and told her to call WalMart. Now, I do feel badly for the B&G and wish I had returned with a small cutting cake, but....oh well.

No call from the bride yet, so I guess her mom told her the truth about what happened.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:15am
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Yes! Great stuff icon_smile.gif

I always have at least my iPhone with me to take pics of the cake as I leave it...and of course a signed delivery receipt. My mama didn't raise no ijits.

BUT, having said that, I just want to caution new decorators to not only take photos and get a sign-off on the cake, but please make sure you have a sturdy, safe place to put the wedding cake at the venue. Check it out BEFORE you put the cake on the table - yes, look until that white tablecloth!! Part of your fee is for the set-up, and it behooves you to do this well.

Ditto. I always check the table out before I bring anything into the venue. I once had a member of the brides family show me a table and when I put my hands on it to gently shake it to see if it was stable, I realized it was a folding card table. Sure enough, under the table cloth it was in fact a card table. I made them get another table while I brought everything in.

Another, the hotel coordinator told me to put it anywhere, that they would move it later. I refused and told her that I need the perm location because once I set it up an take the pics, it cannot be moved. Period. The bride paid for an intact cake, I delver an intact cake, the bride sees an intact cake. I've seen enough of those wedding disaster video clips of a waiter rolling out a cake only to have it fall.

Check:
Table stability-Can it tolerate a gentle bump?
Table location-Permanent spot? High traffic? Narrow area? Too close to dance floor? thumbsdown.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 12:35pm
post #34 of 38

This is really a great thread! It shows not only the importance of having your camera, but checking the batteries! Checking the table before setting up the cake and having someone sign off on receiving the cake! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:01pm
post #35 of 38

Luv'd hearing this story! Didn't luv how the bride/groom lost their cake but its a great life lesson. I was also appalled at how she flat out lied until she was busted then used the old "oh I'm under so much stress!" line of bull.

Venues are the worst! Why or WHY do they think putting the cake on the dance floor, on a table with wheels, is ok? My first cake that was set up that way, I folded my arms, looked at the little girl hotel coordinator and said, "You DO know that moving an assembled cake is a dumb ass idea, right?"

Or the venue who thought putting the cake on an uncovered concrete patio against a stone wall facing west at 5:00 p.m. would work. Again, I say to the on-site caterer, "well what moron decided THAT wuold be a good idea?"

Had one where another baker did the cake. It was all set up. Then the family decides they want it on a special table that a guest carried in AFTER THE WEDDING!!!! and asked my staff to move the cake to the new table. I was at another wedding and my 2nd-in-command who was at this wedding followed my procedures and said "We don't touch another baker's cake."

Oh .... and this cake they wanted moved was a fountain and stairs cake!!! icon_surprised.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:18pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I assume she thought I'd be more likely to provide another cake if I thought it was my fault that the first one "fell." And to be fair to her, she didn't demand a refund until I challenged her and said it wasn't my fault....that the cake had been moved. At first, she just said that I had to get another cake to them within the next 4 hours. But when she knew I was on to her, she really went off. I guess she thought if she yelled and made demands, I'd be intimidated.

And yes, had she been honest with me, I would have done something to help them. I had cakes in the freezer, could have whipped up some buttercream and at least had a pretty cake for the B&G to cut. But I was done with her and told her to call WalMart. Now, I do feel badly for the B&G and wish I had returned with a small cutting cake, but....oh well.

No call from the bride yet, so I guess her mom told her the truth about what happened.

horrible story, but one more reason i'm so thankful for digital cameras! and cell phones.

I woultn' assume the mom told the B&G the real story after what she did to you. maybe you should send the bride a quick note to the effect of "I am so sorry that the cake i delivered did not make it to the recpetion. Here are some pictures before it was moved by others. I hope you still had a wonderful day. I would like to offer a small 6" cake to you and the groom since you were unable to enjoy the cake you ordered from me" of course cleaned up a little icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:15am
post #37 of 38

I don't have anyone sign off for cakes, it isnt' something that people do around here. However, I have a clause in my contract that says I'll take pictures of the cake and the location to show that it's been delivered and set up, and that will constitute proof of delivery. They sign that contract, they'd better not move the cake (that's also in the contract)

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:03am
post #38 of 38

I must say Johnnycakes: You are Grace under fire! I'm so glad you stood your ground, firmly.
I'm also glad you weren't guilted into making more cake. Especially after being yelled at, and lied to.

This is a great thread with lots of useful information. I read the op 1st post to my husband because I found it so humorous.
He said, "That person, my dear, is a genius! A picture is worth a thousand words."
My husband is a detective who takes crime scene photos. He advised me (I'm passing along free advice) That after setting up a cake at a venue, to start from across the room taking photos, walking towards the cake being sure to capture background information on film.

I know I have 2 nightmares about my cakes: Number one, I forgot an order and number 2, I get a phone call that a cake fell.
I'm sure that phone call was nerve racking, but how assuring to be able to whip out the digital proof!
Nice work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%