How Strong Are Cake Drums?

Decorating By sullymel13 Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 9:22pm by pmarks0

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 2

I am going to a 4 tier wedding cake, and it will be my first time transporting one that large already stacked. I looked in my local cake decorating store, and saw that they have large cake drums, but I am not so sure they would carry the weight of the entire cake! They seem like a bunch of cake circles glued together and covered in foil.

My cake will be 4 tiers, 14, 12, 10, 8, carved down to be topsy turvey, covered in ganache then fondant. I plan on using SPS.

My other option is using a plywood circle, but I'm not sure yet if I can buy it already cut, seeing that I don't have any tools at home. What does everyone else use?

Thanks so much! I love the site!

1 reply
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 2

I think you'd be okay. I use cake drums but I've not done a cake quite that big. You also want to make sure you have at least 2" around the cake, so that would mean you need an 18" drum. At least that's what I would do. The fact that you can buy them up to 22" (at least that I've seen) I'd say you'd be fine.

I think you may be able to get Home Depot to cut the circle for you, but I'm not positive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%