Are All Spatulas Created Equal?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 12:33am by cheatize

sugarMomma Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 4

I have had the same Wilton icing spatulas since I started decorating. I had graduated from Wilton cake pans to Magic Line years ago because of the noticeable difference. Is there a better icing spatula or do they all do about the same work. I have really only seen Ateco spatulas other than Wilton at my cake store.

3 replies
Baker_Rose Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 4

Oh no!! I've been decorating for 20+ years now and I have my faves. I have OLD wilton angled spatulas that are NOTHING like the ones you buy today. In 20 years they have never warped and are heavy. I also have spatulas that I bought through work at about 5x the price with white handles. The metal part is shorter and wider than a regular straight spatula and my elbow doesn't ache when I have a lot of cakes to do.

I can usually tell just by picking up a spatula if I will like it or not. But.......I am very fussy about them as well. icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 4

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If you're not happy with the ones you have and need to replace them, you can't go wrong with anything made by Dexter-Russell.

I like these... they last forever:
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/dexter-russell/s2496/p9162.aspx

cheatize Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 12:33am
post #4 of 4

I have a Wilton one that must be from the '70's. It's straight with a wood handle. I also have the Wilton ones with a plastic handle that they sell today. I reach for my wood handled one every time. I don't even keep in the same place as the others. The others are in a tote in a room with the rest of my cake stuff. The wood handled one is in a kitchen drawer. It has more spring to it or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%