Best Royal Icing Recipe For Royal Icing Transfer????

Decorating By krissi2230 Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm by DianeLM

krissi2230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissi2230 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:02am
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a rit for the first time (hello kitty) I was wondering if there is a great recipe anyone would recommend? Also any yips or pointer would be greatly recommended. Thanks icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

7 replies
krissi2230 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:03am
post #2 of 8

Uh yeah...the was tips not yips...oops

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 8

I've always used the wilton recipe for royal icing.

As far as tips...

Work quickly when flooding.
Do a second piece, just in case.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 8

I also use the Wilton recipe, and I prefer the Wilton meringue powder to other brands for RITs.

Tips: Use freshly made royal icing. Don't make it today and expect to make a decent RIT with it tomorrow. If you have to rebeat it, it has lost its strength and you'll have a crumbly kitty on your hands.

As TexasSugar said, make an extra. If you don't need to use it, you can save it for months. I find that many times I like my second try better than the first anyway. icon_smile.gif

Don't make your flood too thin. A ribbon of icing dropped back into the bowl should disappear after a FULL count of ten (1 Mississippi, 2 Missiissippi, etc.) If you thin it out too much, it will be weak. See crumblly kitty note above.

Pipe your RIT on sheet protector or plastic wrap that has been taped to the back of a sheet pan. It will release much more easily from those surfaces than from wax paper.

Pipe some test puddles on your work surface to check for doneness. Better to kill a test puddle than your actual piece. Leave your work to dry for at LEAST 24 hours.

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 8

How do you make a RIT? I've used color flow before, but not RI...is it similar? Or is it similar to an edible transfer sheet? I'm confused! Thanks!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 8

Same thing as a color flow piece, just made with royal icing rather than color flow mix. icon_smile.gif

krissi2230 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone! I just have a couple questions, what's color flow? And do you think rit would be the best for a plaque that I want to stand upright....I'll lat it flat if I have to, pr stick it on the side....

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 8

You don't need to use colorflow for a stand-up piece. Check out these examples (note that they're called 'colorflow' in the descriptions, even tho they are really royal icing xfers. More people know what colorflow means.):

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/90836
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/90827
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/90829

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%